Edwar Ramirez Playing in World Baseball Classic
DURHAM, NC - Former Pelicans stand-out relief pitcher Edwar Ramirez was named to the Dominican Republic final roster for the World Baseball Classic. Two other former players from the American Association also made the cut including former St. Paul Saints RHP Chris Begg (Team Canada) and former El Paso Diablos LHP Donavon Hendricks (Team South Africa).
Ramirez is currently with the New York Yankees big league spring training in Tampa, FL.
As the Pelicans closer in 2005, Ramirez posted a 1.45 ERA and recorded eleven saves while holding opponents to a .170 batting average.
The World Baseball Classic is an international baseball tournament between 16 national teams from around the world consisting of professional and amateur players. The inaugural World Baseball Classic was held in March 2006 and won by Japan.
The 2009 Classic commences on Thursday, March 5. The first round opens in Tokyo, with defending champion Japan facing off against China. Mexico City, Toronto and San Juan, Puerto Rico, host the other three first-round brackets, as follows:
- Tokyo (Tokyo Dome - March 5-9)
Japan, China, Chinese Taipei, Korea
- Toronto (Rogers Centre - March 7-11)
USA, Canada, Venezuela, Italy
- San Juan, P.R. (Hiram Bithorn Stadium - March 7-11)
Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Panama
- Mexico City (Foro Sol Stadium - March 8-12)
Mexico, Cuba, South Africa, Australia
The second round is at San Diego's PETCO Park and Miami's Dolphin Stadium, with the games being played from March 14-19.The semifinals and finals will be played March 21 and 23 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from February 25, 2009
- Scoop's Reading Challenge Reaches New Record - Pensacola Pelicans
- Edwar Ramirez Playing in World Baseball Classic - Pensacola Pelicans
- X's Land Big Bat In Trade - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team