ECHL Announces 2015-16 All-Rookie Team
April 6, 2016 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL on Wednesday announced its All-Rookie Team for 2015-16 as determined in a vote of ECHL coaches, broadcasters, media relations directors and media, who were asked to select a goaltender, two defensemen and three forwards.
A rookie is defined as a player who has played in less than 25 professional games prior to the start of the current season.
2015-16 ECHL All-Rookie Team
G - Vitek Vanecek, South Carolina Stingrays (31 gp, 17-7-6, 2.09 GAA, .914 save pct.)
D - Jacob MacDonald, Elmira Jackals (70 gp, 17g, 18a, 35 pts., +10)
D - Ben Marshall, Indy Fuel (70 gp, 11g, 24a, 36 pts., -10)
F - Dan DeSalvo, Tulsa Oilers (55 gp, 16g, 35a, 51 pts., +16)
F - Cason Hohmann, Elmira Jackals (57 gp, 20g, 37a, 57 pts., +16)
F - Matt Willows, Florida Everblades (68 gp, 23g, 39a, 62 pts., +14)
Since the ECHL began naming the All-Rookie Team in 2000-01, 18 players selected have gone on to play in the National Hockey League: Vern Fiddler and Simon Gamache (2001-02); Mike Glumac, Adam Hauser, Jason Jaffray and Zenon Konopka (2002-03); Kevin Doell and Brian Fahey (2003-04); Joey Tenute (2004-05); Cedrick Desjardins (2006-07); David Desharnais and Anton Khudobin (2007-08); Richard Bachman (2009-10); Kael Mouillierat and Ben Street (2010-11); Philipp Grubauer (2011-12); Laurent Brossoit (2013-14) and Roman Will (2014-15).
The ECHL will announce its First-Team All-ECHL and Second-Team All-ECHL teams on Thursday.
Vitek Vanecek of the South Carolina Stingrays is 17-7-6 in 31 appearances this season, while he ranks third in the league with a 2.09 goals-against average and he is tied for sixth among rookie goaltenders with a .914 save percentage. Under contract to the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League, Vanecek has gone 10-0-3 in his last 13 decisions.
Jacob MacDonald of the Elmira Jackals leads rookie defensemen, and is tied for first overall among blueliners, with 17 goals, and his 35 points are tied for first among first-year defenders. His four shorthanded goals lead the league, and is a total that has never been bested by a defenseman in league history.
Ben Marshall of the Indy Fuel is tied for first among first-year blueliners, and is tied for 10th among all defensemen, with 35 points (11g-24a) while his 184 shots on goal are tied for fourth among defensemen.
Dan DeSalvo of the Tulsa Oilers ranks fifth among rookies with 35 assists and is seventh with 51 points despite playing just 55 games as he is currently loaned to Manitoba of the American Hockey League.
Cason Hohmann of the Elmira Jackals is second among rookies with 57 points, tied for third with 37 assists and tied for fifth among first-year players with nine power-play assists.
Matt Willows of the Florida Everblades leads all rookies with 39 assists and 62 points while ranking fourth among first-year players with 23 goals. He has 10 power-play assists, which is tied for third among rookies, and his 15 power-play points are fourth.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2016
- Nailers Hand out Team Awards, Announce Playoff Slogan - Wheeling Nailers
- Four Second Period Goals Lead Allen Past IceMen - Evansville IceMen
- Thunder Lose First of Three this Week vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Wings' Winning Streak Moves to Eight with Road Triumph - Kalamazoo Wings
- Comeback Falls Short against K-Wings - Brampton Beast
- Swamp Rabbits Come up Short in 4-2 Loss to Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Score Five in Win over Thunder, 5-1 - Tulsa Oilers
- Admirals Kick off Final Homestand with 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Mallards Power Past Komets in Third, Move to Brink of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Vanecek Stops 24 Shots to Lead Stingrays to 3-0 Win at Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Vanecek Shuts out Gladiators in 3-0 Stingrays Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- April 9th 50/50 Start Announced - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Americans Open Final Homestand of the Season - Allen Americans
- Defenseman New Assigned to 'Blades; Roe Loaned to Springfield of AHL - Florida Everblades
- Curtis Valk Returns to Wings for Playoff Push - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jacob MacDonald and Cason Hohmann Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Elmira Jackals
- Rush Participate in "Camp Corral" - Rapid City Rush
- Goaltender Vitek Vanecek Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - South Carolina Stingrays
- Willows Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Florida Everblades
- Dan DeSalvo Named to All-Rookie Team - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Announces 2015-16 All-Rookie Team - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Atlanta, 7:05 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Swamp Rabbits Close out Series against Norfolk Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers at Thunder Tonight: Game Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Today - April 6 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.