Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 21, 2019
Several San Jose Earthquakes players were with their respective national teams to compete in various international competitions last week.
The U.S. Men's National Team fell 2-0 against Canada in a Concacaf Nations League match played at BMO Field in Toronto. Defender Nick Lima made his ninth international appearance, entering the match as a substitute in the 74th minute. Midfielder Jackson Yueill did not feature.
The U.S. U-23s defeated the El Salvador U-23s 6-1 at FIU Soccer Stadium in Miami. Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski played the entire second half after replacing Matt Freese.
The Georgia National Team earned a 3-2 triumph over Gibraltar in a EURO 2020 European Qualifying match played at Victoria Stadium in Gibraltar. Midfielder Vako started and played all 90 minutes for Georgia, earning his 45th international cap. Defender Guram Kashia did not feature for Georgia.
The Peru National Team tied 1-1 in an international friendly against Uruguay at Estadio Nacional in Peru. Defender Marcos Lopez did not feature for the home side.
Earthquakes to host Premium Suite Showcase on November 7
From 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 7, the Earthquakes are opening their doors for a no-obligation presentation of remaining premium seating options for the 2020 season. The Quakes Premium Showcase will immerse fans in behind-the-scenes opportunities and offer a game-day experience, without the game itself, at no cost. The event includes a tour of the Earthquakes' locker room, fun on-field activities, a catering sampler, and a full rundown of Avaya Stadium's premium seating options. Find out more here.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC earned a 3-0 shutout victory over Tulsa Roughnecks FC in their season finale at ONEOK Field, securing a second-place finish in the Western Conference standings, their best finish in regular-season play in club history. Reno also set new club records in wins (18), points (60) and road wins (10).
Quakes goalkeeper Matt Bersano and midfielder Kevin Partida were featured in the Starting XI for 1868 FC. Midfielders Eric Calvillo and Siad Haji entered the match as substitutes in the second half.
Bersano made four saves and held Tulsa Roughnecks FC scoreless on Saturday night, earning his fifth shutout of the season, Reno's third straight in league play and ninth overall in 2019.
Forward Corey Hertzog opened the scoring for 1868 FC, scoring on a penalty kick in the 15th minute. Forward Adrian Apodaca netted his fifth goal of the season just seven minutes later, seeing Reno go into halftime with a 2-0 lead. Midfielder Seth Casiple was credited with the assist on Apodaca's goal, his seventh of the season.
Hertzog tallied Reno's third goal of the night in the 83rd minute. Hertzog's brace marked his 17th and 18th goal of the season, matching the single-season goal-scoring record by a Reno 1868 FC player. The record was previously held by former 1868 FC forward Dane Kelly, who tallied 18 goals throughout the 2018 season.
Reno now look ahead to the 2019 USL Championship Playoffs. 1868 FC will host a Conference Quarterfinals match (opponent TBD) at Greater Nevada Field on Saturday, Oct. 26 (5:30 p.m. PT)
Tickets are available for purchase here. Playoff strips are also available and can be accessed here. Strips include discounted tickets for all four potential playoff matches, as well as an exclusive team-issued playoff shirt.
The San Jose Earthquakes Boys' Academy went unbeaten (3-0-2) in regular-season fixtures versus Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday at Evergreen Community College.
The U-13s and the U-14s defeated Sacramento 2-1 and 5-1, respectively. The U-17s earned a 3-0 shutout victory, and the U-15s and the U-19s each tied 1-1.
The U-19s will face De Anza Force on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at Avaya Stadium. On Saturday, Oct. 26, the U-15s and U-17s will face LAFC at Cal State LA. The U-13s and U-14s will host EBU Bay Oaks at Lincoln High School. The U-13s and U-14s will also host Marin FC Alliance on Sunday, Oct. 27 at Evergreen Community College.
The Girls' Academy allowed just two goals in weekend fixtures versus Lamorinda Soccer Club. The U-14s (4-0), U-15s (3-0), U-16s (3-0), and U-19s (1-0) each recorded shutouts victories. The U-17s were defeated 2-1.
The Girls will host California Thorns FC on Saturday, Oct. 26 at Evergreen Community College.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 21, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 21, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party on October 24 at Dignity Health Sports Park's Legends Plaza for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Match - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Foundation: More Than $50,000 Raised at Thursday's Ladies Lace up - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer Awards Expansion Team to Sacramento - MLS
- Mexican Powers Club America & C.F. Monterrey to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Technical Director Luke Sassano to Step Down for Family Reasons - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Open 2020 Season Ticket Sales to General Public - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Roster Updates Ahead of 2020 Season - Columbus Crew SC
- MNUFC Falls 2-1 to Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Minnesota United FC 1 - Sunday, October 20, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Matchups Set for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Conference Semifinals - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes 2020 Home Opener Set for February 29 vs. Toronto FC
- Stage Set for 2019 NCAA Women's College Cup at Avaya Stadium
- Earthquakes, Verizon to Offer Fans Enhanced Matchday Experience
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 25, 2019
- Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2020 MLS Season