Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 12, 2021
The San Jose Earthquakes are set to travel to Texas to take on Houston Dynamo FC in the 2021 season opener this Friday, April 16. The match kicks off from BBVA Stadium at 5:00 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California Plus, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Last week, the Earthquakes and PayPal Holdings Inc. announced a multi-year sponsorship agreement that includes naming rights for Major League Soccer team's stadium which will be called PayPal Park. The 10-year partnership is built to celebrate Quakes fans, the San Jose community, and local small businesses, and will reimagine the future of live event experiences for sports fans by leveraging PayPal's innovative payments technology.
2021 MLS Season Opener
The Earthquakes will face Houston Dynamo FC on Friday in the first overall MLS regular season match of 2021. The last time San Jose kicked off the first match of the MLS season was against D.C. United on April 3, 2004.
Starting on the Road
San Jose will start the MLS season on the road for the first time since 2015 (at FC Dallas).
Been a While
Friday's match will mark the first time San Jose and Houston will face each other in almost two years. The last time they met was on June 26, 2019 at PayPal Park, 660 days ago.
Record vs. Houston Dynamo FC
San Jose holds a 9-13-3 all-time record vs. Houston, winning their most recent matchup on June 26, 2019 at PayPal Park (2-0).
Break the Streak
San Jose heads to Houston with a seven-match winless streak against Dynamo FC (0-6-1) at BBVA Stadium. The Quakes' last road victory over Houston came on May 5, 2015 (1-0).
Matias Almeyda's Third Season
2021 marks head coach Matias Almeyda's third season at the helm. Last year, the Argentine led San Jose to their first MLS Cup Playoff appearance since 2017.
From the Ground Up
The Quakes enter 2021 with seven Homegrown players on the roster: Jacob Akanyirige, Cade Cowell, Gilbert Fuentes, JT Marcinkowski, Emi Ochoa, Tommy Thompson and Casey Walls. Five of them have already seen MLS action, with Ochoa and Walls yet to debut.
Returning from International Duty
Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski (USA), and midfielders Eric Calvillo (El Salvador) and Jackson Yueill (USA) are available for selection in Friday's match following their international duties in the Concacaf Olympic Qualifiers last month.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 12, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 12, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Players and Staff Receive COVID-19 Vaccination - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Signs Goalkeeper Nick Marsman - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Announces Partnerships with NBC Sports Washington and TeleXitos - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Announces New Partnership with Columbus-Based American Electronic Power - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Kevin Molino - Columbus Crew SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Contract of Head Coach Gary Smith - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.