Earthquakes Trade Defender Jeff Agoos to MetroStars
SAN JOSE (Friday, December 10, 2004) - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has acquired a fourth round selection in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft from the MetroStars in exchange for veteran defender Jeff Agoos. Agoos, 36, has been with the Quakes since 2001 and helped the club to two MLS Cup Championships (2001 & 2003). Agoos has played a total of 219 regular season games in nine MLS seasons with D.C. United and the Earthquakes.
"Jeff Agoos needs to only raise his hand with five MLS Cup rings to graphically illustrate his worth to this league," Earthquakes President & General Manager Alexi Lalas said. "He has given so much to the Earthquakes and to MLS for so many years, and this move was made with that in mind. Jeff Agoos has earned the right to finish his career in a place where he and his family are happy, and we wish him all the best."
The former United States National Team player had an immediate impact on the Quakes upon joining the team, as the club enjoyed a 50-35-29 record in his four years in San Jose. In his Quakes career, Agoos appeared in 84 games, scoring five goals and notching eight assists for 18 points, while serving as the team captain. "Jeff has been a consummate team player and has meant a lot to this organization during the past four years," said Earthquakes head coach Dominic Kinnear. "He was an important part of the success here and we wish him well in the future."
"I'm very saddened to leave San Jose," Agoos said. "I am grateful to the fans in San Jose, and I know that I will miss this team and all of its supporters. I have enjoyed playing in San Jose and I will always have fond memories of winning championships here and playing with this team in front of these fans. However, as I near the end of my career, I need to think about what is best for my family, and this move to the MetroStars is an opportunity to do that. My family and my wife's family are all on the East Coast and I believe this move will be beneficial to my wife and children."
The Earthquakes now hold 10 selections in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft, including four third round picks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 10, 2004
- Bob Bradley and Nick Sakiewicz to particpate in online Q&A Session - New York Red Bulls
- MetroStars Acquire Five Time MLS Champion and Nine Year Veteran Jeff Agoos From the San Jose Earthqu - New York Red Bulls
- Adu Called Into Final U.S. U-20 National Team Camp - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Trade Defender Jeff Agoos to MetroStars - San Jose Earthquakes
- 2005 Champions Cup Draw to Take Place on Wednesday, December 15th - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Earn Point at Home in Scoreless Draw with Colorado
- Earthquakes Announce 2018 Club Award Winners
- Earthquakes to Honor Most Dedicated Members of the Quakes Family with Devotion Scarves this Sunday
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 15, 2018
- Earthquakes Shutout Liga MX Leaders Cruz Azul in Friendly