Ducks Salvage Series Finale over Blue Crabs in a Big Way
(Waldorf, Md.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs 15-6 on Thursday night in the finale of a three-game midweek series at Regency Furniture Stadium.
Southern Maryland took a 1-0 advantage in the last of the first versus Long Island starting pitcher Joe Iorio when Zach Collier plated Rubi Silva with a triple into the right field corner after Silva was issued a free pass with one man down. Long Island sent ten men to the plate in top of the third against Southern Maryland starter Kolton Mahoney to open up a 7-1 advantage, highlighted by a sacrifice fly from L.J. Mazzilli, a two-run double off the bat of Hector Sanchez, and a three-run home run to centerfield produced by Ramon Flores.
The Ducks opened up a 9-1 cushion in the fourth frame on sacrifice flies courtesy of Steve Lombardozzi and Deibinson Romero that allowed Johnni Turbo (double, team-leading 26th stolen base) and Vladimir Frias (walk, 16th stolen base) to cross the plate. Mazzilli was at it once again in the sixth as he launched a two-run home run to left field for his eighth roundtripper of the campaign which gave the visitors an 11-4 lead. The Flock added a pair of insurance runs in the eighth making it 13-4 thanks to a two-run base knock from Chris Shaw that scored Frias and Lombardozzi
Iorio (11-2) picked up the victory, allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits in six innings on the mound, walking three while striking out a season-high eight and hitting a batter. Mahoney (7-5) suffered the loss, giving up nine runs on six hits (one home run) in four innings pitched, walking four, striking out three, hitting a batter, and tossing a wild pitch. Mazzilli led the offensive charge for the Ducks with a single, double, home run, three runs batted in, and his 16th stolen base in as many attempts.
Long Island returns home on Friday evening to begin a three-game weekend series with the York Revolution. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Fairfield Properties Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). Following the game, all fans in attendance will be treated to a Fireworks Spectacular, presented by NYCB. It's a Flash Sale Friday as well! From 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. on Friday, fans will have the opportunity to receive a special ticket offer for a future Ducks game. This exclusive deal is available by phone only at (631) 940-TIXX. Left-hander Darin Downs (4-4, 4.33) gets the nod for the Flock against a starting pitcher yet to be announced for the Revolution.
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the Fairfield Properties Ballpark box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming HD video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com in the Ducks Video Center on the homepage as well as on the Ducks official Facebook page and YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, a Professional Partner League of Major League Baseball, and play their home games at Fairfield Properties Ballpark. For further information, visit LIDucks.com or call (631) 940-DUCK (3825).
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Revs' Rally in Ninth Falls One Run Short - York Revolution
- Johnni on the Spot Leads Ducks Past Revs - Long Island Ducks
- Crabs Bullpen Dominates in 6-2 Triumph over Lancaster - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Rockers Vault Back into Tie for First after 13-7 Victory - High Point Rockers
- Barnstormers Drop Opener In Southern Maryland - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers' Lawrence Named ALPB Pitcher of the Month for August - High Point Rockers
- Silva, Lawrence Named Atlantic League's August Player, Pitcher of the Month - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Registration Open for 71st Annual York Halloween Parade - York Revolution
- West Virginia Rallies after the Rain - High Point Rockers
- Ducks Salvage Series Finale over Blue Crabs in a Big Way - Long Island Ducks
- Revs Dealt Pair of Setbacks in Doubleheader Sweep - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Ducks Magical Season Comes to an End in Lexington
- Two-Out Rallies Lead Lexington Past Long Island in Game Three
- Frias' Five-Hit Afternoon Helps Ducks Even Championship Series
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short in Championship Series Opener
- Atlantic League Championship Series Preview - Ducks vs. Legends