Dragons "overly pleased" with supplemental draft results
San Francisco, Ca - In the 2007 Major League Lacrosse Supplemental Draft earlier today, the San Francisco Dragons had twelve overall picks, four of which came in the first two rounds.
"We are overly pleased with the results. I can't imagine this draft turning out any better for us," said Dragons GM Doug Locker. "Going into the draft, we had identified our top four prospects, and I'm happy to say that we got every one of those four."
Of the Dragons' twelve picks, the first six players selected were midifelders. "We drafted a lot of good athletes today," said Dragons head coach Brian Silcott. "We felt that the draft pool was particularly strong in the midfield, and that there was the most MLL-level talent there."
Their first pick, and the second overall in the 10 round draft, was Steve Looney, a midfielder out of the Naval Academy. "I feel honored to have been picked so early in the draft, and I'm very much looking forward to playing in San Francisco," said Looney, who plans a move from Virginia to California.
John Keysor, the Dragons' second pick and the seventh overall, was equally excited about the opportunity to roam the San Francisco midfield.
"I can't wait to get out there and play with those guys," said Keysor, who too plans a move to California from his native New York state. "To be honest, San Francisco is the only place I wanted to be."
For their third pick, and eleventh overall, the Dragons selected midfielder Joe Vasold, who most recently played at New York Institute of Technology, an NCAA Division II university. Vasold will be joining current Dragons midfielder and MLL stand-out Tom Zummo, who also went to NYIT and was selected by San Francisco in last year's MLL Supplemental Draft.
"I'm proud and honored," said Vasold, "to represent Division II in the MLL; it's rare that D2 athletes are recognized on a national level. The opportunity to come out and play in California is more than I can put into words."
With a midfield newly infused with talent, Locker feels very confident about the Dragons' current state.
"We are looking forward to a very competitive (training) camp. We feel that we have made significant improvements to our team today."
The complete list of the Dragons Supplemental Draft Picks, see below:
1. (2nd Overall) Steve Looney (M)
2. (7th Overall) John Keysor (M)
3. (11th Overall) Joe Vasold (M)
4. (17th Overall) Tim Treubig (M)
5. (27th Overall) Jud Lattimore (M)
6. (37th Overall) Matt Miller (M)
7. (47th Overall) Ben Love (D)
8. (57th Overall) Matt Madalon (G)
9. (67th Overall) Andrew Braziel (D)
10. (77th Overall) Brandon Hays (D)
11. (87th Overall) Jake McKenna (G)
12. (97th Overall) Nick Dean (A)
For a complete list of MLL draft results, visit http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/events/supplemental/
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from December 5, 2006
- Pride-Outlaws trade highlights 2007 Supplemental draft - MLL
- Riptide select nine in MLL Supplemental Draft - Los Angeles Riptide
- Outlaws Add Nine in Supplemental Draft - Denver Outlaws
- Dragons "overly pleased" with supplemental draft results - San Francisco Dragons
- Pride Round Out Roster in 2007 Supplemental Draft - New Jersey Pride
- Cannons Select Nine Players in Supplemental Draft - Boston Cannons
- Rattlers select Gavin Prout in MLL Supplemental Draft - Dallas Rattlers
- Lizards add talent in supplemental draft - New York Lizards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.