'Dogs Take Season Opener against Canaries
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Justin Byrd hit a three-run homer, Kyle Kinman tossed five shutout innings, and the Lincoln Saltdogs beat the Sioux Falls Canaries 5-1 for the first Opening Night win at Haymarket Park in franchise history.
Byrd broke a scoreless tie with his first homer in the fifth inning, while Skyler Weber added a two-out RBI single in the sixth. Ryan Long's sacrifice fly made it 5-0 in the seventh.
Sioux Falls's Kona Quiggle broke the shutout with a solo homer in the eighth, but the 'Dogs held on to win for the first time in three tries on Opening Night at home.
Kyle Kinman, in his second consecutive Opening Night start, went five innings and allowed just two hits and one walk with seven strikeouts.
Byrd went 2-for-3 with the homer and a walk, while Long went 1-for-3 with the sacrifice fly. JR DiSarcina had a double in his first Saltdogs start, while Randy Norris went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
Josh Altmann had two walks, Matt Goodheart had a hit and a run scored, and Eddy Martinez singled with a run scored.
Carter Hope, David Zoz and Steffon Moore each pitched scoreless frames in relief, while Carson Lance allowed one run in one inning.
The 'Dogs are now 2-1 against the Canaries on Opening Night, and Lincoln has won nine of 11 against Sioux Falls going back to May of last year.
The 'Dogs continue the three-game series on Saturday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., and pregame coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on Lincoln's ESPN.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 14, 2022
- Homers and Pitching Power X's to Second Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Big Fifth Inning Propels Milkmen - Lake Country DockHounds
- Logan's Late Blast Lifts Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Blank RailCats in Opening Day Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Chicago Prevails over Gary Southshore Behind an Electrifying Opening Day Crowd - Chicago Dogs
- Slow Start for Season Opener - Kansas City Monarchs
- Goldeyes Fall Run Short on Opening Night - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers Spoil Monarchs' Coronation - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Dogs Take Season Opener against Canaries - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.