Despite 13 Hits Storm Lose 7-5 to Fall out of First Place
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Cailf. - After splitting a series against Inland Empire to start the seven-game road trip, the Lake Elsinore Storm visited LoanMart Field on Monday to face the first half champs and South Division nemesis, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. Looking to maintain a share of first place, the Padres' affiliate pounded out 13 hits but never had the lead in a 7-5 loss to the Dodgers' affiliate.
LHP Osvaldo Hernandez, an 11-game winner last season with the Fort Wayne Tincaps (MWL) who was making his California League debut, allowed a two-out walk, an RBI double and then a two-run home run to CF Jeren Kendall to trail 3-0 after one inning.
The Storm responded in the top of the second by scoring twice on a CF Jeisson Rosario sacrifice fly and 1B Olivier Basabe RBI single into center field to make it a one-run game.
Trailing 5-2 in the seventh, Lake Elsinore plated two runs on RBIs from C Luis Campusano and SS Gabriel Arias to cut the deficit to 5-4, but Rancho's 3B Marcus Chiu hit his 10th home run of the season in the home half of the inning to give the Quakes a three-run lead once again.
The resilient Storm had one more rally, as 2B Esteury Ruiz led off the ninth with a double followed by back-to-back walks to load the bases with nobody out and the potential tying run on base. Campusano's sacrifice fly and 43rd RBI of the season got the Storm within two runs at 7-5. After Arias flew out, DH Connor Panas lined a single to right to bring up 3B Eguy Rosario, who already had two hits to extend his hitting streak to a team-best 11 games. With the bases loaded, winning pitcher Wills Montgomerie (6-2) struck out Rosario swinging to end the game.
The Storm, who have lost two straight and three of four, are 7-5 in the second half and one game back of Lancaster in the South Division.
LHP Osvaldo Hernandez: Cal League debut, three innings (46 pitches/26 strikes), two hits, two Ks, two walks
RHP Caleb Boushley: Five innings, nine strikeouts, zero walks
SS Gabriel Arias: 3-5, one RBI (34, second on team), one run
3B Eguy Rosario: 2-5, team-best 11-game hitting streak
CF Jeisson Rosario: 2-3, one double (10th), two walks, one run
C Luis Campusano: 2-4, two RBI (43, team leader), five-game hitting streak, batting .329 (1st in league)
WP: Wills Montgomerie (6-2)
LP: Osvaldo Hernandez (0-1)
HR: LE: None | RC: Kendall (9th, two-run, B1) Chiu (10th, two-run, B7)
On Tuesday, July 2 at 7:05pm Storm All-Star LHP MacKenzie Gore will be opposed by RHP Josiah Gray in a marquee matchup. Lake Elsinore will return to The Diamond on July 4 to celebrate Independence Day and begin a six-game home stand. For the best available seats buy online at stormbaseball.com or call 951-245-4487.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from July 2, 2019
- 'Hawks Win Fourth in a Row - Lancaster JetHawks
- Despite 13 Hits Storm Lose 7-5 to Fall out of First Place - Lake Elsinore Storm
- The Nutcrackers of San Bernardino Celebrate Christmas in July - Inland Empire 66ers
- Comeback Thwarted, Quakes Take Game One - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Visalia Drops Game 1 of a 3-Game Series to Stockton - Visalia Rawhide
- Ports Edge Rawhide in 4-3 Victory - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Lose One-Run Decision - Modesto Nuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake Elsinore Storm Stories
- Greatest Comeback in Franchise History as Storm Score 10 Runs in the Ninth, Win 14-13 in 10 Innings
- Storm Move into a Three-Way Tie for First Place with 8-3 Road Win Versus 66ers
- Storm Topple the Giants, 8-7, in 14 Innings to Move Within a Half Game of First Place
- Storm Celebrate in Walk-Off Fashion in 8-7 Win over the 66ers
- Storm Get Swept in Lancaster, Return Home for a Weekend Series against Inland Empire