Denyi Reyes Named South Atlantic League Most Outstanding Pitcher
Greenville, SC - Greenville Drive pitcher Denyi Reyes put forth a remarkable campaign on the mound at Fluor Field in 2018, and he etched his name into the history books one final time on Tuesday with his selection as the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Year, as announced by league president Eric Krupa.
Reyes, who was also selected to the league's midseason and postseason All-Star teams, becomes the first pitcher in franchise history to be selected as the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Year, as well as the first to receive a nod as a postseason All-Star.
"We couldn't be more excited for Denyi to receive this prestigious honor," said Drive Manager Iggy Suarez. "All season long, our players and staff have watched Denyi put in the work to get better each and every day, and that hard work resulted in a dominant season on the mound, as well as this well-deserved recognition as the league's best pitcher. Denyi was also the consummate teammate during his time in Greenville, and we are very lucky to have been able to be a part of his success."
In 21 appearances on the mound for the Drive, including 18 starts, Reyes posted a league-low 1.89 ERA while logging 10 wins and a pair of complete games. In 123 2/3 innings, the right-hander struck out 122 hitters and only issued 13 walks while holding opponents to a .201 batting average.
His season highlights include a complete game shutout in Columbia on May 29th, the first in franchise history, as well as a seven-inning complete game against Hickory on July 25th, his penultimate start with the Drive prior to his promotion to the Salem Red Sox. As a testament to his dominance on the mound, Reyes only allowed more than three runs in a start once all season, and he posted two 10-strikeout performances as well.
"Denyi's professional character, work ethic and attention to detail propelled his game into one that represented a high level of pitchability, reliability, and ultimately, success this season," said Bob Kipper, the Drive's Pitching Coach. "He has provided many great moments and memories for our staff and players, but more importantly, for our fans. There is no doubt Denyi will continue to move his game in even a better direction as he moves forward in his professional career."
Reyes is the 10th person in Drive franchise history to receive South Atlantic League Annual All-Star recognition. Reyes joins catcher Roldani Baldwin and manager Darren Fenster (2017), outfielders Luis Alexander Basabe and Tate Matheny (2016), second baseman Yoan Moncada (2015), utility infielder Carlos Asuaje (2014), outfielder Keury De la Cruz (2012), outfielder Brandon Jacobs (2011), and outfielder Jeremy Hazelbaker (2010) as Drive players to be recognized as annual all-stars.
Images from this story
Greenville Drive pitcher Denyi Reyes
Greenville Drive pitcher Denyi Reyes prepares to throw
Greenville Drive pitcher Denyi Reyes delivers
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Opportunity Missed; Tourists Fall in 11 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game Two to Greenjackets - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets Get Revenge in Game Two - Augusta GreenJackets
- Yajure's Strong Stretch Ends in Columbia, RiverDogs Throttled by Fireflies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Held to Three Hits in 5-2 Loss on Tuesday - Hagerstown Suns
- Offense Ignites While Dibrell Sets Strikeout Record - Columbia Fireflies
- Hernandez Single Buries 'Birds in Ninth - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Stafford's Home Run Leads Power to Fifth Straight Win - West Virginia Power
- Owenby Walks It Off, Braves Win 2-1 - Rome Braves
- Braves Walk off with Win over Drive on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Four Named to SAL Post-Season All-Star Team - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 28 vs. Charleston (Game 127) - Columbia Fireflies
- Czinege and Golden Claim Back-To-Back Player of the Week Awards - Asheville Tourists
- Casey Golden Named SAL Most Valuable Player - Asheville Tourists
- No Rhyme Or Reason About It, RiverDogs Give Away Ten Grand, Approach Record Year in Final Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Minick Law - Hard Hitting Player Feature - Moises Ceja - Asheville Tourists
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 28) - West Virginia Power
- SAL Annual All Star Team Announced - SAL
- Denyi Reyes Named South Atlantic League Most Outstanding Pitcher - Greenville Drive
- Encarnacion, Jarrett Named Postseason All-Stars - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Cruz and Mitchell Tabbed as 2018 South Atlantic League Annual All-Stars - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- West End Events at Fluor Field Unveils Fresh Look
- Step up to the Plate at Fluor Field on October 3
- Waldrop Inc. Announced as the Official HVAC & Plumbing Provider of the Greenville Drive
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Event at the Drive Goes Virtual
- Drive Already Looking Forward to Next Year, Debut New Ticket Plan Options