Denver Outlaws Clinch Postseason Berth with 15-12 Win over New York Lizards
DENVER - The Denver Outlaws (9-5) clinched a postseason berth with a 15-12 win over the New York Lizards (4-11) on Saturday night in Hempstead, N.Y. It marks the 13th time in the Outlaws' 14-season existence that the team has qualified for the Major League Lacrosse playoffs.
MLL Championship Weekend will be hosted in Denver this season for the first time in the league's 19-year history. The two semifinals games will be played on Friday, Oct. 4, at the University of Denver's Peter Barton Stadium, and the championship game will be played on Sunday, Oct. 6, at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Rookie attackman Ryan Lee (4 goals) and midfielder Mikie Schlosser (3 goals, 1 assist) led the Outlaws on Saturday with four points apiece. Goalie Dillon Ward made 15 saves on 27 shots (55.6%) and faceoff specialist Max Adler won 14-of-29 faceoffs (48.3%). The Outlaws' leading scorer among defenseman this season, rookie Andrew Newbold became the first player in franchise history to score a two-point goal in three consecutive games.
Denver set the tone by starting the game on an 8-0 scoring run that tracked into the second quarter. The Outlaws led 9-2 at halftime, but a second-half resurgence from New York led to a 13-12 contest with five minutes to play in the game. On a pair of highlight-reel goals from Lee and Schlosser, Denver scored the final two tallies of the evening to lock up its spot in the postseason.
The Outlaws, who have two games remaining in the regular season, will be back in action next Saturday at Peter Barton Stadium (3 p.m. MDT faceoff) when they take on the Chesapeake Bayhawks (8-6).
Photos from Saturday's game are available for media use at majorleaguelacrosse.com with the password MLL2019.
Denver Outlaws Year-by-Year Results
Year Record Result
2006* 10-2 Lost Championship
2007* 7-5 Lost Semifinal
2008* 8-4 Lost Championship
2009* 9-3 Lost Championship
2010* 8-4 Lost Semifinal
2011* 7-5 Lost Semifinal
2012* 11-3 Lost Championship
2013* 14-0 Lost Semifinal
2014* 9-5 Won Championship
2015 7-7 Missed Playoffs
2016* 8-6 Won Championship
2017* 9-5 Lost Championship
2018* 8-6 Won Championship
2019* 9-5 TBD
*denotes postseason berth
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from September 7, 2019
- Denver Outlaws Clinch Postseason Berth with 15-12 Win over New York Lizards - Denver Outlaws
- Thompson Totals Three Points as Chesapeake Falls to Boston, 12-11 - Chesapeake Bayhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Outlaws Stories
- Denver Outlaws Lose 13-11 to Chesapeake BayHawks in Final Game of the Regular Season
- Denver Outlaws to Face off against Chesapeake BayHawks in Regular-Season Finale on Friday Night
- Denver Outlaws Fall 11-10 to Chesapeake BayHawks
- Denver Outlaws to Host Chesapeake BayHawks on Saturday with Opportunity to Secure No. 1 Seed in Playoffs
- Denver Outlaws Clinch Postseason Berth with 15-12 Win over New York Lizards