Denver Cutthroats Take 2-1 Series Lead in Overtime
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats hosted the Tulsa Oilers for the third game in the 2014 Playoffs at the Denver Coliseum on Wednesday, April 9. The Cutthroats defeated the Oilers 3-2 in a sudden death overtime in Denver's first home match in the Playoff series.
Following a scoreless opening frame, Troy Schwab (A.J. Gale, Sean Zimmerman) scored his third goal in the Playoffs to give the Denver Cutthroats a 1-0 lead over the Tulsa Oilers.
With less than five minutes remaining in the third period, Ben Gordon (Ryan Barlock, Scott Macaulay) fired a shot over the shoulder of the Cutthroats netminder Kent Patterson to tie the score at one. Blair Macaulay (Todd Robinson, Drew Fisher) scored the Oilers second goal to give them the lead for the first time in the night. Denver's Mikael Tam (T.J. Fox, Aaron MacKenzie) tied the score at two to send the game into sudden death overtime.
At 12:18 in the sudden death overtime, J.P. Chabot (Steve Kaunisto) scored the game-winning goal to close the game 3-2 Cutthroats. Kent Patterson stopped 40 of 42 shots on goal to help Denver take a 2-1 lead in the opening round Playoff series against Tulsa.
The Denver Cutthroats and Tulsa Oilers will face off for games four and five on Friday, April 11 and Saturday, April 12 at the Denver Coliseum. For ticket information, call 866.464.2626 or visit DenverCutthroats.com.
Three Stars :
1. J.P. Chabot (DEN)
2. Kent Patterson (DEN)
3. Shane Madolora (TUL)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 10, 2014
- Americans Lead Series 3-0 After 4-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Americans Look to Go up 3-0 in the Series with Brampton - Allen Americans
- Mallards Capitalize in Game Three, Take 2-1 Series Lead - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Grab Series Lead with 3-1 Win against Mavericks - Arizona Sundogs
- Denver Cutthroats Take 2-1 Series Lead in Overtime - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavericks Can't Connect in Game 3: Fall 3-1 to Sundogs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Chabot's Overtime Winner Gives Denver a 2-1 Series Lead - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster