Denise O'sullivan Highlights NC Courage Team Awards with Second Consecutive MVP Win
Cary, NC - The North Carolina Courage announced team end of season awards today as voted on by their teammates. Awards were given in several categories including offensive and defensive player, leadership, MVP and community service.
Kristen Hamilton has been named the Offensive Player of the Year after a breakout season. Hamilton recorded her first career hattrick on June 1 against the Orlando Pride. Just one month later, Hamilton scored four goals in a game against the Houston Dash. Hamilton heads into the final game of the season with a total of nine goals. She also has five assists.
Jaelene Hinkle has been named the Defensive Player of the Year. Hinkle is the only player on the NC Courage to have played every minute of all 23 games this season. The outside defender is known for her arching crosses, six of which resulted in assists. Hinkle also had 22 clearances and 22 blocks. Additionally, she scored her first career goal for the NC Courage in 2019.
Team captain Abby Erceg was voted the recipient of the Leadership Award, given to the player who has shown consistent guidance on and off the field, as her skills were focused on keeping the backline in check. Erceg has played in every minute of 19 games. The New Zealand international has 68 clearances, 17 blocks, and 29 interceptions. She has also added one goal to her stats this season.
The NC Courage voted Denise O'Sullivan as Most Valuable Player on the team for the second consecutive season. O'Sullivan joined the Courage in mid-2017 and has been an important part of the lineup ever since. The midfielder has played and started 22 games this season, distributing 1,102 passes from her central position. O'Sullivan's pass success rate is an extremely high 84% and she averages 50 passes per match.
The Community Service Award went to a deserving player who distinguished herself with important work in the community off the field, Lynn Williams. Williams made several community appearances throughout the season and is commended for showing her devotion to youth soccer players.
McCall Zerboni has been named the Select PT Comeback Player of the Year after recovering from an elbow injury sustained at the end of the 2018 season. Zerboni has bounced back, playing 1,580 minutes in 21 games. The midfielder is one of the toughest in the league, with tackle, duels, and aerial duels success rate all over 50%.
The 2019 NWSL Shield winners face either Reign FC or Portland Thorns FC in the NWSL Semifinal on Sunday, October 20, at 1:30 p.m. ET at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park. Tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com or by calling the Coastal Credit Union Box Office at 919.459.8144.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from October 11, 2019
- Denise O'sullivan Highlights NC Courage Team Awards with Second Consecutive MVP Win - North Carolina Courage
- Match Preview: Sky Blue FC Finishes 2019 Season at North Carolina Courage - Sky Blue FC
- Utah Royals FC Caps 2019 Season on Saturday at Home against Houston Dash - Utah Royals FC
- Match Forecast: Reign FC Close out Regular Season against Orlando - Reign FC
- Storylines: Pride vs. Reign FC - Orlando Pride
- Spirit Visit Portland to Face Thorns in Season Finale - Washington Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina Courage Stories
- NC Courage MVP Denise O'Sullivan Signs Multi-Year Contract with the Team
- North Carolina Courage Announce Roster Update Following the Team's 2019 NWSL Championship Victory
- Andonovski Names Four NC Courage Players to Training Camp Roster for Friendlies against Sweden and Costa Rica
- Dominant Title Game Performance Crowns Courage NWSL Champs...Again
- North Carolina Courage Wins Second Straight NWSL Championship with Dominant 4-0 Win over Chicago Red Stars on Sunday