Deep-Ball Threat Cunningham Returns
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Lightning of the arenafootball2 league have been assigned WR Clarence Cunningham, Lightning head coach Doug Murray announced today. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Cunningham, 25, is expected to join the team on a week 2 road trip against the Spokane Shock this Saturday from Spokane Arena. Cunningham will wear number 7.
"Clarence will always have a home here and we're excited to use his talents in our offense this season," said Murray. "Like any other player in this league, his goal is to become a regular in the Arena Football League and we're figuring another good season out him this year will help him get there. He's a great player, brings veteran leadership and is the premiere deep-ball threat on this team."
Following his release from a stint in the Arena Football League with the Los Angeles Avengers, Cunningham returns for his second year with the Lightning after serving as one of the primary receiving targets last year for a team that ranked eighth in the af2 with 4,527 yards of total offense. Cunningham was second on the Lightning with 17 touchdown receptions and 75.1 yards per game, totaling 901 receiving yards in just 12 games.
The San Jose State University (NCAA) product had an af2-week high 259 all-purpose yards on June 30 at Stockton Arena in 54-41 win last season and totaled 6 multi-touchdown games during the regular season.
Cunningham spent five seasons with San Jose State (2001-05) and appeared in all 11 games as a 2005 senior, ranking 11th on the Spartans with 26 tackles and blocked one kick. His efforts also garnered the team's "Specialist of the Year" and "Captain of the Year" award.
The Lightning return to play for a week 2 road matchup against the Spokane Shock, starting at 5:00 p.m. from Spokane Arena. The game be viewed, free-of-charge, exclusively online through www.stocktonlightning.com (courtesy of NifTy Online TV).
Season tickets for the 2008 Lightning regular season are on sale now. For more information on season tickets, merchandise, or other information, please call the Lightning at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.stocktonlightning.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 5, 2008
- Dusters win over Coyotes - Amarillo Venom
- Vipers drop close game to Blizzard - Alabama Vipers
- Austin Loses to Lubbock, 75-41 - Austin Wranglers
- Shock cruise in home opener - Spokane Shock
- Game Preview: Stockton Lightning At Spokane Shock - Stockton Lightning
- af2 week two Sunday matchups - af2
- af2 alumni impact upcoming Sunday night matchup - af2
- Deep-Ball Threat Cunningham Returns - Stockton Lightning
- Copperheads Host Firecats - Texas Copperheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Lightning Stories
- Lightning Suspend Day-To-Day Operations
- Shockwave Dancer "Lee" Named to Aaron's af2 "Dream Team"
- Lightning eliminated from postseason, Spokane advances on 55-0 run
- Stockton Lightning vs. Spokane Shock Game Preview
- Lightning enter ArenaCup Playoffs on winning note, eliminate Peoria