Austin Loses to Lubbock, 75-41
AUSTIN - In the Wranglers second game of the season, they welcomed the Lubbock Renegades to the Frank Erwin Center, but lost an offensive battle 75-41.
The Renegades continued their momentum from last season as they returned star quarterback Robert Kent, who led the way with eight total touchdowns (five passing, three rushing).
Despite a lackluster offensive performance, newly acquired quarterback Mike Wall took over for the Wranglers in the second half and threw two touchdowns in an attempt to keep Austin in the game. Wide receiver Jovon Russell led the Austin offense with nine catches for 57 yards and one score.
Following a rough first half, the Wranglers defense stood stronger in the second half, led by defensive lineman Kika Kaululaau with four total tackles, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. Hometown favorite, defensive lineman Barrett Dallmeyer, added an exclamation point to the second half defensive performance with a recovered fumble returned for a touchdown.
To bring the game to a conclusion, Wranglers jack linebacker/wide receiver Mel Long intercepted Kent's pass and took it in for a 27-yard touchdown. The interception was Long's third interception returned for a touchdown of the season as he earned the US Army Ironman of the Game with two total touchdowns.
With the loss the Wranglers drop to 0-2 on the season and Lubbock earns a win in their first game of the year. Austin will travel to Amarillo on April 12 to take on the Dusters and then will return home on April 20 to host Southwest Division rival the Rio Grande Valley Dorados.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 5, 2008
- Dusters win over Coyotes - Amarillo Venom
- Vipers drop close game to Blizzard - Alabama Vipers
- Austin Loses to Lubbock, 75-41 - Austin Wranglers
- Shock cruise in home opener - Spokane Shock
- Game Preview: Stockton Lightning At Spokane Shock - Stockton Lightning
- af2 week two Sunday matchups - af2
- af2 alumni impact upcoming Sunday night matchup - af2
- Deep-Ball Threat Cunningham Returns - Stockton Lightning
- Copperheads Host Firecats - Texas Copperheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.