Dayton Gems to Help Raise Funds for Local High School
Dayton, OH - The Dayton Gems professional hockey team, a proud member of the "AA" Central Hockey League, announced today that they will be holding a special fundraiser night for local high school senior Jimmy Jenks, who is battling cancer, when the Gems host the Evansville IceMen on Saturday, January 28 inside the historic Hara Arena.
Jenks, a 17 year old senior at Tippecanoe High School in nearby Tipp City, is currently battling Hodgkin's Lymphoma and is undergoing chemotherapy followed by radiation. Upon hearing of the Jenks, the Gems reached out to Jimmy's mother Tina, and began setting up a benefit in his name to help offset the costs and burden of Jimmy's treatment and recovery.
When not enduring his treatments, Jimmy's hobbies revolve around video games and computers, and he plans on attending either Sinclair or Edison community colleges after graduating from high school.
January 28th will be known as "Jam it for Jimmy" night with the Dayton Gems, as they host divisional rival Evansville IceMen on Cassano's Italian Ice inside Hara Arena at 7pm.
The Gems will be donating $1 from every ticket sold to the January 28thgame, and will donate an additional $2,000 to the Jenks family if the game is sold out.
"You can't imagine how shocked and grateful I am for the generosity being shown to us" commented Tina Jenks on the Gems involvement.
After hosting a similar benefit last season for teenage cancer patient Kyle Terrian in a game that ultimately saw over 5,000 people pack the house as part of the fundraiser, the Gems were contacted by fans about Jimmy Jenks.
"This goes well above and beyond just a donation" noted Gems team president Joe Greene. "We were urged by some fans who knew of Jimmy's battle. With the community outreach we've done this season, ranging from donating Gems Christmases to providing toys and food for the less fortunate in the area, we were encouraged by our loyal and passionate fans to step up and make a positive difference in the Jenks family's lives."
Tickets for the special "Jam it for Jimmy" fundraiser night are available now by calling the Gems ticket office at 275-7777 or by visiting www.DaytonGems.com . Group ticket packages are also available for the 28th and make it easy for groups of ten or more to enjoy a great game together for a great cause.
But first, the Gems return home to the comfy confines of the historic Hara Arena when they host the Evansville IceMen on Cassano's Italian Ice this Sunday afternoon at 4pm. Fans are invited to join the Gems after the game for a free postgame skate and the first 1,000 fans through the gates starting at 6pm will get a limited edition Gems poster.
Tickets for Sunday's game against Evansville are now available by calling the Gems ticket office at 275-7777 or by visiting www.DaytonGems.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2012
- Gillis Named CHL Goaltender of the Week - Evansville IceMen
- Mavericks Place Ryan Jardine on Injured Reserve - Kansas City Mavericks
- Evansville's Bryan Gillis Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Dayton Gems to Help Raise Funds for Local High School - Dayton Gems
- Oilers Weekly - Tulsa Oilers
- Rivet Named CHL All-Star Team Captain - Laredo Bucks
- 2012 CHL All-Star Captains Announced Laredo's Adam Rivet Named Team's Captain - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"