Dayton Gems Gameday - Rush Looking for Revenge Against Gems Tuesday
Dayton, OH - The Dayton Gems conclude their regular season slate with the Rapid City Rush on Tuesday as the Gems look to continue their two game home winning streak on Cassano's Italian Ice inside the historic Hara Arena.
After a brief three-game road trip and a stretch that saw them play six of seven away from home, the Dayton Gems returned to Hara Arena on last Friday night to meet the Rapid City Rush and then to host the Turner Conference leading Evansville IceMen on Saturday night. The Gems used that home cooking and momentum from the fans, including a season-high 5,187 on Saturday night, to beat the Rush in a shootout and then do what no other team in the month of January could do, beat Evansville in regulation. Larry Sterling stopped 57 of 62 total shots leading the way to victory in both games and offensively it was a team effort with 11 different players earning points in the two games.
Gameday In Dayton
The Gems welcome the Rush back into the comfy confines of Hara Arena for the sixth meeting between the teams this season, and the second matchup in the Gem City.
In their five prior games, Dayton looks to improve on their 2-2-1 record against the Rush after scoring a 3-2 win last Friday night inside Hara Arena in a shootout. Riding a two game winning streak, the Gems are most recently hot off a thrilling 4-3 home win over first place Evansville in front of a season high crowd of 5,187 on Saturday night. Dayton's last winning streak came back on December 17th, 18th and 19th.
Rapid City grinds back into the Gem City after a grueling road series which has seen them battle into a two game winless streak with their loss to Dayton and again in Bloomington (4-2 on Saturday) before bouncing back with a convincing 4-0 dousing of the Blaze on Monday.
Promotion: Player trading card giveaway. Kroger 2-for-1 tickets with a Kroger plus card.
Dayton Gems Game Notes
Jammed It for Jimmy - The Gems thawed the IceMen 4-3 in front of a season high crowd of 5,187 inside Hara Arena on Saturday, January 28. Portions of the ticket proceeds went to local teen cancer patient Jimmy Jenks, who dropped the ceremonial first puck.
Mark the Spot - Dayton's newly acquired netminder Mark Sibbald comes in a trade from Allen. He was named the 10/11 SPHL Goalie of the Year while with the Huntsville Havoc.
All Star Lutes - Brett Lutes represented the Gem City as the lone Gems player participating in the 2012 All Star Game. Luteswould earn two assists and a +5 rating to help his CHL All Star team beat the CHL's Arizona Sundogs 6-4.
New Guys! - The Gems welcome fresh blood to the roster with the addition of forwards Robin Richards, David Nimmo and goaltender Mark Sibbald.
Mixed Martial Awesome - Last Friday night's win against the Rush would feature Charlie Townsend and Robin Richards drop their mitts to engage in fisticuffs, helping propel their team to the 3-2 win.
The Closer - Dayton's Tim Hartung sits tied for most Game Winning Goals by a defenseman with 3, while leading the CHL'sblueliners in Shootout Goals with 2.
Powerplay Master - Brandon Naurato remains second best in the CHL in powerplay goals with 9. He also scored the game winner last Friday night in the shootout.
Tune Into Tonight's Game!
Catch all the action live onwave96.net and CHL TV starting at 7:00pm (eastern) with Gems broadcasters Tom Michaels and Kevin O'Boyle handling the call. Fans can also tune into the Internet radio broadcast anywhere in the world with Internet connection and on the go through their smartphone.
Tickets Are Still Available For Tonight!
Tickets for Tuesday evening's special 6:30 "Family Night" game are still available by calling the Gems at 275-7777 or by visitingwww.DaytonGems.com. Gates will open to the public starting at 5:30pm, with the first 1,000 fans receiving a limited edition Gems player card set.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 31, 2012
- Oilers Overcome Slow Start to Beat Bees 5-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Dan Gendur Hat Trick Not Enough, Bees Fall 5-4 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems Fall in Controversial Shootout 4-3 Against Rush - Dayton Gems
- Americans Rejean Beauchemin Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Allen Americans
- Allen's Rejean Beauchemin Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Dayton Gems Add Defenseman DeGagne - Dayton Gems
- Blaze Strengthen Ownership and Front Office - Bloomington Blaze
- Tonight Is $2 Tuesday - Oilers Vs Killer Bees at 7:05pm at the BOK Center - Tulsa Oilers
- Dayton Gems Gameday - Rush Looking for Revenge Against Gems Tuesday - Dayton Gems
- Boron and Reeder Lead Shorthanded Rush 4-0 Win Against Blaze - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"