Dawgz' streak comes to a close
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz four game win streak came to a close when they traveled to Little Rock, Arkansas, to challenge the Arkansas Twisters. The Twisters offense proved to be too powerful for the visiting team as they defeated the Dawgz, 51-39.
Both teams came into the contest 6-3 on the season and were tied for second in the Central Division behind the Tulsa Talons. The Twisters came out strong and jumped to an early 19-0 lead. The Yard Dawgz finally got on the board late in the first quarter to bring the score to 19-6 at the end of the first. The second quarter was quiet for both offenses as the QB's each had their first of two interceptions. Arkansas went into halftime with a 25-13 point lead over the visitors.
In the third, the teams exchanged scores bringing the Dawgz within 11 points of the Twisters. The first quarter deficit proved to be too much for the Yard Dawgz to overcome, despite their best efforts. Early in the fourth quarter FB/LB Larry Hayden scored on a 1 yard run, bringing the Dawgz within 5. Arkansas then scored twice more in the fourth quarter and the Dawgz scored once, bringing the final score to 51-39, Arkansas.
Arkansas Twister QB Davon Vinson was named the Schutt Offensive Player of the game for his performance. Vinson went 19-of-24 for 206 yards and 2 interceptions.
The Dawgz offense never seemed to get into any type of rhythm, despite QB Stan Hill going 31-of-52 and 341 yards. With his #1 receiver, Danny Howard, out due to a minor injury, Hill concentrated on Al Hunt and Pierre Velazquez. Hunt had 3 TD catches and 157 receiving yards and Velazquez grabbed 8 receptions for 74 yards. The Dawgz head to Texas next week to take on the Rio Grande Valley Dorados. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at Dodge Arena in Hidalgo, TX.
Yard Dawgz games can be heard at KTOK AM1000 or KGFF AM1450. Games can also be heard online at www.ktok.com or www.kgff.com. For more Yard Dawgz information, call 405.228.3294 or visit www.okcyarddawgz.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from June 16, 2007
- Dawgz' streak comes to a close - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Fusion "D" Dominates in 52-34 Road Win Over Fire - Fort Wayne Fusion
- Shock fall to Fever 39-34 - Spokane Shock
- Twisters Ride Big First Quarter to Win - Arkansas Diamonds
- Quad City Steamwheelers Thunder Struck 63-34 by Mahoning Valley - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Quincy Carter returns with a vengeance - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Fire fall to Fusion - Louisville Fire
- Firecats Whip Wolves 49-27 - Florida Firecats
- Thunder defeat Quad City Steamwheelers 63-34 - Mahoning Valley Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.