David Shields Signs with the Comets
Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the club has signed defenseman David Shields to an American Hockey League contract for the 2016-17 season.
Shields, 25, joined the Comets midway through the 2015-16 season when he signed a PTO on Dec. 11. While with the Comets, he collected 10 points (3-7-10), eight penalty minutes, and a +12 rating in 32 games. In 236 career AHL games with the Comets, the Peoria Rivermen, and the Chicago Wolves, the Rochester, NY native has compiled 40 points (8+32-40). Prior to joining the Comets last season, Shields played in 15 games for the Adirondack Thunder of the ECHL, and registered nine points (2-7-9) and nine penalty minutes.
The 6'3" defenseman was drafted in the sixth round (168th overall), by the St. Louis Blues in the 2009 NHL Entry Level Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 11, 2016
- Scooter Vaughan Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Make Three Additions to Hockey Staff - Binghamton Senators
- David Shields Signs with the Comets - Utica Comets
- Laval, Que., to Join American Hockey League in 2017-18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceCaps Seek New Hockey Partner - St. John's IceCaps
- Laval, Que. to Join American Hockey League in 2017-18 - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.