Damien Magnifico Added to North All-Star Roster
VIERA, Fla. - The Florida State League announced on Wednesday that Brevard County Manatees starting pitcher Damien Magnifico has been added to the North Division roster for this Saturday's 2014 Florida State League All-Star Game at McKechnie Field in Bradenton.
Magnifico, who is replacing Dunedin's Daniel Norris on the roster, is now the fifth Manatees player to be named to this season's FSL All-Star Game. He joins Tyler Wagner, Cameron Garfield, Jed Bradley and Tanner Poppe as Brevard County's representatives on the North Division roster. Both Bradley and Poppe will be unable to play due to their promotions to Double-A Huntsville.
Entering play on Wednesday evening, Magnifico is 3-4 with a 3.05 earned run average in 12 starts thus far in 2014 with the Manatees. He has struck out 38 and walked 22 in 68 innings pitched.
The right-hander from Mesquite, Tex. had a solid May, as he went 2-2 with a 1.57 ERA. He struck out 24 and walked just ten in 34.1 innings of work over six starts last month. On May 19th, he became the first Manatee since 2009 to throw a complete game, nine-inning shutout, as he allowed just two hits in a 1-0 win over the Jupiter Hammerheads.
Magnifico was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the fifth round of the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Oklahoma. This is his second mid-season All-Star selection as he was chosen to play in the Midwest League All-Star Game last season, while with Class-A Wisconsin.
For more information on the Brevard County Manatees, call (321) 633-9200 or go online to ManateesBaseball.com . Also, don't forget to like the Manatees on Facebook and follow the Manatees both on Twitter and Instagram .
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 11, 2014
- Mets and Hammerheads Postponed - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Hold on for 7-6 Victory over Charlotte - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Tonight's Game Between Jupiter and St. Lucie Postponed - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Flying Tigers/Manatees Doubleheader Postponed - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Wednesday's Doubleheader in Lakeland Rained Out - Brevard County Manatees
- Beer Fans Rejoice: Mets Hosting First Tradition Field - St. Lucie Mets
- Damien Magnifico Added to North All-Star Roster - Brevard County Manatees
- Vs. Cancer Foundation Fundraiser Night to be Held June 17th at Roger Dean Stadium - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Mets Snap Slide with 6-3 Win over Hammerheads - St. Lucie Mets
- Miracle Hammer Stone Crabs 10-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Pointer Collects Three Hits in Loss - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.