Cyclones Add Veteran Defenseman
CINCINNATI, OH- The Cincinnati Cyclones have signed defenseman Mike Ratchuk for the 2015-2016 season. The ninth-year pro spent the last two seasons with the Wheeling Nailers.
"Mike is a top defenseman in the ECHL, and he has shown every year that he can make an impact in every game," said Cyclones Head Coach Matt MacDonald. "He also brings a lot of experience on the backend which will help our younger guys develop."
A second-round draft pick by the Philadelphia Flyers in 2006, Ratchuk skated in 97 games with the Wheeling Nailers over the past two seasons, accounting for 17 goals and 38 assists for 55 points. His 44 points (15g, 29a) during the 2013-2014 season set career highs in goals, assists, and points.
Ratchuk has seen time a various levels since turning pro in 2008, skating in the ECHL for Wheeling and the Elmira Jackals, and helping the Florida Everblades to a Kelly Cup Championship in 2011-2012. He as also seen time with the Philadelphia/Adirondack Phantoms, Syracuse Crunch, and Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League (AHL), and the Fort Wayne Komets of the Central Hockey League (CHL). He also spent a season with Ljubljana Olimpija HK in Austria. In 386 career professional games, the South Buffalo, NY, native has tallied 46 goals and added 118 assists for 164 points.
Prior to turning pro, Ratchuk skated two seasons at Michigan State University, totaling 37 points (10g, 27a) in 82 games. He was a also a member of the 2006-2007 team that won the NCAA National Championship.
"This was a priority signing for us this summer, and we are excited to have him apart of the organization," said MacDonald.
The countdown to the 2015-16 First Face-Off is underway! The Cyclones will return to U.S. Bank Arena on Saturday, October 17 when they host the Toledo Walleye at 7:30pm. Between now and then, be on the lookout for several offseason events like Meijer Concrete Clones! 2015-16 Season Ticket Packages are available NOW! Call 513.421.PUCK to reserve your seats. Fans can also get the latest team updates throughout the offseason on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 5, 2015
- Southorn Returns to Komet Blue Line - Fort Wayne Komets
- John Snowden Named Solar Bears Assistant Coach - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Re-Sign Gauthier; Add NHL Experience to Blue Line - Wichita Thunder
- Missouri Signs John Schiavo and Liam Stewart to Standard Player Contracts - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceMen Day at Ellis Park this Saturday - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Add Veteran Defenseman - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Beast Sign France's "Meilleur" Defenseman - Brampton Beast
- Captain Matt Tassone Returns to the Twin Tiers - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.