Costello Ties ECHL Record with Three Shorthanded Goals
December 13, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - Chad Costello of the Colorado Eagles tied the ECHL single-game record with three shorthanded goals last night in a 5-3 win against Las Vegas. The only other player to score three shorthanded goals in one game was Birmingham's Jamey Hicks on Jan. 27, 1998 against Pensacola.
Costello opened the scoring of last night's game at 2:23 of the second period, and extended Colorado's lead to 2-0 at 10:56, scoring just one second before a Colorado penalty expired. He capped his hat trick at 10:54 of the third period, giving the Eagles a 5-0 lead.
The reigning ECHL Most Valuable Player, Costello leads the ECHL with 47 points (14g-33a) in 25 games this season. His three shorthanded goals last night move him into a tie for the league lead in that category, and he also leads the ECHL with 15 power-play assists and 19 power-play points.
It is the second time this season that an ECHL team has scored three shorthanded goals in a game after Florida scored three times while shorthanded in a 4-2 win at South Carolina on Nov. 16.
The most shorthanded goals by one team in a single game in ECHL history is four, held by five teams.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2012
- Road Warriors Topple Gladiators 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Gladiators Winning Streak Snapped, 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At San Francisco Bulls - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Acquire Clackson from Gwinnett for Sinkewich - Alaska Aces
- Bulls Finish Four-Game Home Stand against Stockton - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - December 13 - ECHL
- Titans Week in Review - Trenton Titans
- IceCaps Recall Two More (Kaunisto & Schnell) from Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Trenton Titans Announce December Promotions - Trenton Titans
- Wranglers Pick up Pitt in Trade with Greenville - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Road Warriors Get Collins and Stamler from Wranglers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Costello Ties ECHL Record with Three Shorthanded Goals - ECHL
- ECHL Today - December 13 - ECHL
- Fortier Recalled by Hamilton Bulldogs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Beskorowany Blanks Aces, 4-0 - Idaho Steelheads
- Hat Trick Hinders Wranglers in 5-3 Eagles Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Costello's Shorthanded Hat Trick Helps Colorado to 5-3 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Steelheads Blank Aces 4-0 - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.