Condon Earns Two ECHL Awards in April
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens, are excited to announce a pair of league honors. Goaltender Mike Condon has been named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month and CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month for April.
Condon, 23, earns the honor, following an outstanding month of April, which saw him win all four of his starts, with three of the victories coming via shutout. Mike's first two appearances came in consecutive days, as he recorded back-to-back shutouts against the Toledo Walleye on April 1st and 2nd. The Holliston, MA native turned aside 35 shots in a 4-0 win on the 1st, before a 31-save performance gave Wheeling the upper hand in a 3-0 contest on the 2nd. Condon's season-high shutout streak ultimately ended at 166:40 on April 4th, but he and the Nailers were victorious again, as a 24-save effort helped to produce a 4-1 win over Evansville. Finally, on April 12th, Mike set another season-high, posting a 45-save shutout in a 5-0 triumph on the road against Cincinnati.
Overall this season, Condon appeared in 39 games for the Nailers, compiling a 23-12-4 record, a 2.18 goals against average, a .931 save percentage, and six shutouts. His save percentage ranked first in the ECHL, his shutouts ranked second, his win total was tied for fifth, and his goals against average finished sixth. The six shutouts were also the most in a single season for a Wheeling backstop.
These are Mike's fifth and sixth league honors of the season, as he won ECHL Goaltender of the Week three times (Nov. 25-Dec. 1, Mar. 10-16, Mar. 31-Apr. 6), while also taking home ECHL Rookie of the Month in November. The Princeton University graduate becomes the first player in team history to win ECHL Rookie of the Month twice in one season and the fourth all-time, joining Sean Collins (Oct. 2005), Nick Petersen (Jan. 2011), and Chris Barton (Nov. 2011). Condon is also the fourth Nailer to take home ECHL Goaltender of the Month, joining David Brumby (Oct. 1998), Dany Sabourin (Nov. 2004), and Andy Franck (Apr. 2006).
In the ECHL, Condon becomes the first player since Justin Donati in 2009-10 to win ECHL Rookie of the Month twice in the same season. He also becomes the first player since Jayme Platt in December of 2001 to win ECHL Goaltender of the Month and ECHL Rookie of the Month during the same month.
Mike Condon and the Nailers will begin the Kelly Cup Playoffs on Friday night at 7:35 against the South Carolina Stingrays. Wheeling's three home games during the Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Series will take place on April 23rd, 25th, and 26th (if necessary), with all contests starting at 7:00.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 16, 2014
- Newton Returns to Reign from AHL - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - April 16 - ECHL
- Gagnon, Pedan Added to Playoff Roster - Stockton Thunder
- 8 Former Grizzlies on NHL Playoff Rosters - Utah Grizzlies
- Register Named ECHL Defenseman of the Year - Ontario Reign
- Ontario's Register Named CCM Hockey ECHL Defenseman of the Year - ECHL
- Elmira Jackals Become ECHL Affiliate of Buffalo Sabres - Elmira Jackals
- Walker Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Proud to Stay in the 209 - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Announce Playoff Roster - Ontario Reign
- Florida's Walker Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Condon Earns Two ECHL Awards in April - Wheeling Nailers
- Wheeling's Condon Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Wheeling's Condon Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Cincinnati's Shalla Is AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.