Comeback Bid Falls Short against Saint John
The Halifax Rainmen put up a heroic fourth quarter effort but a poor performance early on proved to be too much to overcome, as they fell 109-102 to the Saint John Mill Rats Friday night inside the Scotiabank Centre. The loss moves Halifax to 7-7 on the season.
Heading into the second half and facing an 18 point deficit, Halifax had to make some changes to their approach if they hoped to close the gap against Saint John, however at the end of three quarters of play Halifax trailed 83-67 and Saint John looked poised to run away with the game in the fourth. The Rainmen refused to go quietly though, battling back and taking the lead for the first time in the game with two and a half minutes remaining. The strong showing fell short as Halifax got into foul trouble late, allowing Saint John to pull away at the free throw line.
Tyrone Watson had a double double, and led all Rainmen in points and assists, with 22 points and 11 rebounds. Sefton Barrett added 19 points to the effort, and Joey Haywood had 15. The Mill Rats were led by Tyrone Levett who had 26 points on the evening. Johnny Mayhane put away 17 points for Saint John and Eric Crookshank had a double double, with 10 points and 12 rebounds.
The Halifax Rainmen will be back in action inside Scotiabank Centre on Sunday January 18th when we play host to the Island Storm. Tip Off time is 2pm with tickets still available for purchase through the Scotiabank Centre Box Office, Ticket Atlantic or by visiting www.rainmenbasketball.ca.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from January 2, 2015
- Mill Rats Fend off Rainmen Rally for Road Win - Saint John Riptide
- Comeback Bid Falls Short against Saint John - Halifax Rainmen
- Express to Honour Windsor Ford V-8's - Windsor Express
- A's Let One Slide in Windsor - Orangeville A's
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse