Columbus, Greenville split doubleheader
Columbus, GA - The Columbus Catfish (22-28) and Greenville Drive (27-23) finished a four-game series with a doubleheader split at Golden Park Sunday. The Catfish took game one 5-4, the dropped game two 10-2. After not hitting a home run in seven games Columbus laid into four long balls on the day.
RF Lucas May led the Catfish to a quick 2-0 lead with his 12th home run in the first inning of game one. The Drive used four hits and two walks to take a 4-2 lead in the fifth inning.
May tied it back up in the bottom of the seventh inning with his 13th bomb. With the score even at the end of seven innings the game went into extras. That didn't last long, as LF Adam Godwin led off the bottom of the eighth inning with a walk-off home run, his second of the season.
RHP Jordan Pratt (6-4) pitched two scoreless inning to earn the win. RHP Jason Blackey (2-2) allowed the last two home runs and suffered the loss.
Game two did not fair as well for the home team. Columbus took a 1-0 lead in the second inning thanks to 1B David Sutherland's sixth home run. Greenville scored three runs in the fourth inning, two in the fifth, and five in the sixth to take a 10-1 lead. In total the Drive collected 14 hits and seven walks. With the game out of reach Godwin drove in Sutherland on a ground out for the eventual final score of 10-2.
RHP Mario Alvarez (5-9) allowed five runs, four earned, in four innings and suffered the loss. RHP Clay Buchholz (9-4) permitted just one run in five innings for the win.
Columbus will take a day off Monday, then begin a four-game series with the Kannapolis Intimidators on Tuesday. For tickets or more information call (706) 571-8866 or visit www.ColumbusCatfish.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 13, 2006
- Drive and Catfish split doubleheader - Greenville Drive
- Greensboro wins on wild pitch - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Columbus, Greenville split doubleheader - Columbus Catfish
- Garcia, Battle lead charge as RiverDogs win, 9-1, to sweep Intimidators - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads defeat Captains 7-4 in extra innings - Lake County Captains
- GreenJackets sting Braves to split series - Rome Braves
- Shorebirds take third in a row from Power - West Virginia Power
- Tourists edge Gnats - Savannah Sand Gnats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.