Columbus Destroyers Hire Offensive Coordinator Larry Kuharich
COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Columbus Destroyers added Lary Kuharich to the coaching staff as offensive coordinator, Head Coach Doug Kay announced today.
Kuharich (pronounced koo-HAR-ich) spent last season as the offensive coordinator for the Nashville Kats. A two-time ArenaBowl champion with the Tampa Bay Storm, he served as offensive coordinator in 1991 and as head coach in 1993 when Kay served as his defensive coordinator.
In 1992, Kuharich was named the head coach, vice president and general manager of the Storm. In three seasons with Tampa Bay, he compiled a 29-11 overall record and guided the team to three consecutive postseason appearances.
As an AFL head coach, Kuharich has a 35-47 overall record with four teams the Storm (1992-94), Connecticut Coyotes (1996), New York Cityhawks (1997) and New Jersey Gladiators (2001). Now in his 14th year as a coach in the Arena Football League, he holds the distinction of being the winning head coach of the League's only All-Star Game.
The Destroyers return to action on Saturday, Apr. 5 as they take on the Tampa Bay Storm on Huntington Field at Nationwide Arena. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (ET).
Saturday, April 5th, is Kids Character Night presented by Columbia Gas. Promotions include appearances by The Incredible Hulk and a host of mascot characters as well as the second Dispatch/Mix 97.1 Family Night of the season. Mascots include the Destroyers' beloved Bruiser along with Stinger (Blue Jackets), Crew Cat (Columbus Crew), Chilly Bear (Chiller Ice Rinks), Sullivan C. Gull (Lake Erie Monsters, AHL), Klondike (Ohio Northern University), Cozy Cat (Columbia Gas), B.C. Rooster (Roosters), Andy the Armadillo (Texas Road House), Iggle (Giant Eagle), RATiO (COSI Science Museum) and mascot friends from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. The Dispatch/Mix 97.1 Family Night package includes four tickets, four hot dogs, four popcorns, four Pepsi products, four Dispatch Ice Haus skate passes, family discount admission to Pro Football Hall of Fame and one foam football for just $66.
WE BELIEVE Saturdays are made for football. Single game tickets starting at just $15 are on sale now at the Nationwide Arena Ticket Office, ticketmaster Ticket Centers, ticketmaster.com and all FSN Ohio Blue Line team stores located at The Mall at Tuttle Crossing, Chiller Easton, Chiller Dublin and Chiller North.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from April 2, 2008
- Leif Murphy, from UIF to the AFL - OSC Original by Randy Snow
- San Jose's Haglund named AFL kicker of the month - San Jose SaberCats
- SaberCats change start time for April 12 game - San Jose SaberCats
- Grand Rapids Attempts To Break Another Scoring Mark Against New York - AFL I
- Dallas And Philadelphia Look To Stay Perfect In Week Six - AFL I
- Moye-Moore And Gessner Receive League Honors - Orlando Predators
- AFL announces monthly honors - AFL I
- Columbus Destroyers Hire Offensive Coordinator Larry Kuharich - Columbus Destroyers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Destroyers Stories
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension
- Columbus Destroyers Announce Football Fan Pack In Time For Holidays
- Columbus Destroyers Receive First Pick In Dispersal Draft
- Columbus Destroyers Announce Assistant Coaches
- Destroyers acquire all-AFL linebacker Steve Watson