College Standout Shupe Added to Oilers Roster
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers announced on Tuesday the signing of rookie forward Preston Shupe.
A 24-year old left wing from Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Shupe spent the last four years at Division-I Canisius College in Buffalo, New York where he captained the Golden Griffins in each of his final two seasons. As a senior the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Shupe was second on the squad in goals (16) and points (29) while leading Canisius with four game-winning goals. Shupe appeared in all 43 games of his senior campaign and was one of only nine players in the entire country to record three shorthanded goals during the 2012-13 season.
Shupe played three years of junior hockey for his hometown Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL) and led his team with 36 goals and 80 points in the 2008-09 season.
On the heels of his collegiate success, Shupe signed with the Bakersfield Condors (ECHL) and attended training camp with the Oklahoma City Barons (AHL).
"As a two-time captain, Preston showed outstanding leadership in college," remarked Oilers Head Coach, Bruce Ramsay. "He's put up impressive numbers at every level of hockey so far because he's got a great combination of smarts and skills. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us tomorrow night."
Shupe will make his CHL debut on Wednesday night in Allen when the Oilers clash with the Americans at the Allen Event Center at 7:05 p.m.
The Oilers are back home on Friday night for their first matchup of the season against the Missouri Mavericks before squaring off with the Americans for a home-and-home series on Saturday and Sunday.
For tickets or information, call 918-632-PUCK or log on to www.tulsaoilers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2013
- King & Pszenyczny Suspended Three Games - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Suspends Four Players from Missouri/Arizona Game - CHL
- College Standout Shupe Added to Oilers Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Rapid City's Tim Boron Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oilers Sign Defenseman Theo Calvas
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 18
- Oilers Defeat Steelheads in Shootout Thriller on Autism Awareness Night
- Despite Late Surge, Oilers Fall 5-4 to Rapid City
- Oilers Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton from Orlando in Exchange for Eric Drapluk