Claws Come Back, Top K-Dators 4-3 on Sunday
KANNAPOLIS, NC - Jhailyn Ortiz hit the go-ahead SAC fly in the eighth and Zach Warren got the last four outs as the BlueClaws topped Kannapolis 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at Intimidators Stadium.
Lakewood (10-7/51-35) has now played five straight one-run games, going 2-3 to start their road trip. Kannapolis (8-9/47-37) has won five of nine so far from Lakewood and the teams play their final meeting of the season on Monday night.
Lakewood took the lead in the bottom of the eighth on a SAC fly from Jhailyn Ortiz, bringing home Simon Muzziotti with the go-ahead run. Jake Elliott (1-3) allowed the run and took the loss.
Julian Garcia (3-2) took over for David Parkinson in the seventh inning and got out of a 2nd/3rd, none-out jam to keep the game tied. He got the first two outs in the eighth before giving way to Warren for the last four outs. Warren earned his sixth save, five of which have come in the second half.
Trailing 3-1, the BlueClaws tied the game in the seventh. They put two on base against the starter Parker Rigler, before Kannapolis brought in Jake Elliot. With two outs, Jose Antequera singled to left, bringing in Nick Maton, and then Josh Stephen followed with an RBI single of his own, bringing home Dalton Guthrie to tie the game.
Parkinson did not factor in the decision after allowing three runs over six innings. He struck out eight and did not walk a batter.
Lakewood got an early run on a second inning double-play from Dalton Guthrie. Kannapolis would get the next three to take the lead. An RBI single in the third from Johan Cruz tied the game before Carlos Perez homered, his first of the season. Michael Hickman added an RBI single in the sixth to put the Intimidators up 3-1.
Nick Maton, Antequera, and Stephen had two hits apiece for Lakewood in the win.
The BlueClaws have played 32 one-run games this year, going 19-13.
The teams finish their series on Monday night at 7:05 pm. LHP Will Stewart (6-0, 1.32) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Yosmer Solarzano (1-5, 4.94).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 8, 2018
- Soto Drives in 5 in Extra-Inning Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- McCoy Flashes Leather, Lumber in Walkoff Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Claws Come Back, Top K-Dators 4-3 on Sunday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Legends Fall in Extras to Grasshoppers 11-10 - Lexington Legends
- Rennie Shows Promise in First Start with Fireflies - Columbia Fireflies
- Mitchell Doubles in a Pair in 7-2 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Streak Snapped in 9-3 Sunday Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Controversial Grand Slam Secures Series Victory for RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Notch 15 Hits in Sunday's Win in Asheville - Greenville Drive
- Double Take for Augusta - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Falls in Both Games of Doubleheader - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 8 vs. Charleston (Game 84) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 8) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.