Cizikas, Mens Summer Under-18 Team Bring Home the Gold
Mississauga, ON - The Mississauga St. Michael's Majors are proud to announce that Casey Cizikas has returned home after winning gold with Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team at the 2008 Memorial Ivan Hlinka tournament, which was held from August 12 to 16 in Piestany, Slovakia. Canada claimed gold, following a 6-3 victory over Russia this past Saturday.
Cizikas was one of the twenty-two players selected for the tournament's finalized roster, which was released by Hockey Canada in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League. The 5'11, 191 lbs. native of Mississauga finished off with 2 goals and 3 assists for an impressive 5 points in 4 games played at the tournament.
Last season, the 17 year-old forward collected 18 goals and 23 assists for 41 points in 62 games played with the Majors, and was ranked 1st in rookie scoring on the team. He also won gold with Team Ontario at the 2008 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in November, and was the recipient of The Mississauga News Fans' Choice Award as well as the Pizza Pizza Rookie of the Year trophy at the Majors inaugural team banquet.
Acquired in the 2007 OHL Priority Selection in the 1st Round (3rd overall), Cizikas will be eligible for the NHL Entry Draft in 2009.
To find full coverage of Canada at the tournament, please visit Hockey Canada's website at www.hockeycanada.ca.
The Majors 2008-09 regular season kicks off on the road when they visit the Barrie Colts on Thursday, September 18 at 7:30 p.m. Their home opener will take place on Friday, October 3 at 7:30 p.m. as they take on the Niagara IceDogs. A downloadable version of the Majors 2008-09 regular season schedule is available at their website (www.stmichaelsmajors.com).
For more information on single game and season tickets, group packages and private suites, please visit the Majors website or contact the Majors office at 905-502-7788.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from August 18, 2008
- Duchene too leads Canadians to gold - North Bay Battalion
- Cizikas, Mens Summer Under-18 Team Bring Home the Gold - Mississauga St. Michael's Majors
- Rangers Acquire Volpe - Kitchener Rangers
- Guelph Storm to host ADT Canada/Russia Challenge - Guelph Storm
- Majors Set to Open Camp - Mississauga St. Michael's Majors
- Saginaw Spirit Individual Game Tickets on Sale August 25 - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga St. Michael's Majors Stories
- Eugene Melnyk Announces Sale of OHL's Mississauga St. Michael's Majors
- Majors 2012 OHL Priority Selection Results
- Barrie Wins Series 4-2
- Colts defeat the Majors
- Majors Knot Series with Clutch Win