CHL Announces New Schedule Length & Playoff Format
(Odessa, TX) - The Central Hockey League announced today that the 2010-11 season will extend to a 66-game schedule - two more than the 64 games played in previous seasons. It was also announced that the CHL's Presidents' Cup Playoffs will also expand to a 16-team format.
The 66-game schedule now gives teams 33 home games during the season. The puck will drop on October 15th to being the regular season and run through the end of March.
The first home game for the Jackalopes is set for October 28th.
The 16 teams that qualify for the postseason will be comprised of the top eight teams in each conference based on regular season record. The #1 seed will play #8, #2 vs. #7, #3 vs. #6, and #4 vs. #5. The playoffs will take four rounds to complete. The Opening Round and Conference Semifinal (rounds one and two) will be a best-of-five series. The Conference Final and Presidents' Cup Final (rounds three and four) will be a best-of-seven.
The lower seeded team will receive home-ice advantage in each series. In the Presidents' Cup Final the team with the better regular season record will get home-ice.
This season five teams from the International Hockey League are joining the CHL, bringing the total to 18 teams. The Bloomington PrairieThunder, Dayton Gems, Evansville Icemen, Fort Wayne Komets, and Quad City Mallards.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from July 14, 2010
- Central Hockey League Announces 2010-11 Playoff Format, Addition of Regular Season Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Clouthier Brings Toughness Back to Killer Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- CHL Revamps Playoffs - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks to Play 66-Game Schedule, CHL Playoff Format Announced - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Host First Home Game Friday, October 15 - Allen Americans
- CHL Announces New Schedule Length & Playoff Format - Odessa Jackalopes
- CHL Announces Schedule Length, Playoff Format - Mississippi RiverKings
- Postseason Changes for Central Hockey League and Brahmas - Fort Worth Brahmas
- CHL, Bucks to Play 66 Game Season, New Playoff Format - Laredo Bucks
- CHL Playoff Format Announced for 2010-11 Season - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.