Chicago Fire Weekly Update: Northbound and Down, Shaqiri on the TOTM Bench, Back-To-Back Goals for Koutsias and Haile-Selassie
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
Chicago hits the road for two more back-to-back road games, first traveling north of the border to face Toronto FC before heading to Ohio to take on FC Cincinnati.
The previous encounter with Toronto was a 2-0 Chicago Fire victory at Soldier Field on July 13, 2022 with two goals from Colombian striker Jhon Durán. Durán's goals were assisted by winger Chris Mueller and midfielder Brian Gutiérrez as the Fire earned three points at home and jump-started what became a five-game unbeaten run.
Against Toronto, Chicago is playing its 36th all-time MLS regular season game, and 38th game overall across all competitions, holding a 10-14-11 record in that span.
TEAM OF THE MATCHDAY BENCH FOR SHAQIRI!
Chicago Fire FC midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri was named to the MLS Team of the Matchday bench for Matchday 15 for his performance in the 3-3 tie against the New England Revolution on Saturday at Gillette Stadium.
The Swiss international wore the captain's armband for the second time this season and played 90 minutes in Foxborough. Shaqiri's assist to Georgios Koutsias in the 10th minute was his third assist in three consecutive matches, and his fourth assist in the team's last five games.
TWO FOR (THESE) TWO
Greek forward Georgios Koutsias and Swiss winger Maren Haile-Selassie both scored in back-to-back games for the first time this season, tallying in both the 3-3 tie with Atlanta United on May 20 at Soldier Field and in the 3-3 tie against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium.
With his goal, Koutsias became the third player under the age of 20 to score in back-to-back matches for the Fire, along with Jhon Durán and Justin Mapp.
QUARTERFINALS ARE CALLING
In the first-ever matchup between the two teams, Chicago Fire FC defeated Austin FC 2-0 in the Round of 16 of the 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Q2 Stadium in Austin, Texas on Wednesday night, with goals from defender Rafael Czichos and forward Kacper Przybyłko while goalkeeper Spencer Richey kept the clean sheet.
Chicago advances to the quarterfinals of the tournament for the 15th time in Club history, which ranks as the second-most in MLS era (since 1996), per Opta. The Fire will face the Houston Dynamo at 7:30 p.m. CT on Tuesday, June 6 at SeatGeek Stadium in Bridgeview, Illinois. The match will be broadcast on CBS Sports Golazo Network.
Comments or Questions? Eâmail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 29, 2023
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update: Northbound and Down, Shaqiri on the TOTM Bench, Back-To-Back Goals for Koutsias and Haile-Selassie - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Travels to Face Club León in First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final, Wednesday May 31 - Los Angeles FC
- By the Numbers: FC Cincinnati at New York City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Forward Julián Carranza Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 15 - MLS
- Dynamo Captain Héctor Herrera Named to MLSSoccer.com's Team of the Matchday - Houston Dynamo FC
- Hany Mukhtar and Dan Lovitz Named to Team of the Matchday 15 - Nashville SC
- Nkosi Tafari Named to MLSsoccer.com's Team of the Matchday for Matchday 15 - FC Dallas
- Yosuke Hanya Showcases "Intelligent and Savvy" Playing Style in Call Ups to First Team - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC to Provide Financial Support for League1 BC Hosting Opportunities - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends League Unbeaten Streak to Seven Matches with 3-1 Home Victory Against Columbus Crew - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Draws New England Revolution 2-2 at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew at Lower.com Field
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Hispanic Heritage Commemorative Jersey Auction
- Goalkeeper Chris Brady Selected to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 32
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: Two Matches this Week, Nuestro Fire Launch, & Training Schedule