Chicago Fire FC Exercises 2021 Contract Option on Defender Jonathan Bornstein
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has exercised the 2021 contract option on defender Jonathan Bornstein. He is under contract with the Club through the 2021 MLS season.
"We are pleased that Jonathan will be back with the team in 2021," said Chicago Fire FC Sporting Director Georg Heitz. "Since arriving at the Club, he has consistently shown his experience and qualities as a player. Jonathan has also been an excellent leader and mentor for the young players on the squad. We look forward to working with him again next season."
Bornstein, 35, originally joined the Fire on July 22, 2019, making 11 straight appearances (11 starts) in his first season with the Club. During that 11-game stretch, the Fire picked up five clean sheets and 19 points (5-2-4) in regular season play. In 2020, Bornstein has made four appearances (four starts) for Chicago. The defender tallied his first career goal for the Fire in a 1-1 draw with the New England Revolution on March 7.
Since beginning his professional career in 2006, Bornstein has made 319 professional appearances across all competitions in first division leagues in the United States, Mexico and Israel. Additionally, Bornstein has earned 38 caps for the U.S. Men's National Team, including two appearances in the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC exercises the 2021 contract option on defender Jonathan Bornstein.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 28, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 28, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Inter Miami CF Partners with City Furniture - Inter Miami CF
- A Total Team Effort, Lions on to Quarterfinals - Orlando City SC
- Timbers to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC Exercises 2021 Contract Option on Defender Jonathan Bornstein - Chicago Fire
- City vs. Montreal: a Look into the Numbers - Orlando City SC
- Seattle Bows out of MLS Is Back Tournament with 4-1 Loss to LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Bows out of MLS Is Back Tournament - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Advance to Quarterfinals with 5-2 Win over RSL - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 14-20
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 7-13
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution