Checkers' Rally Falls Short as Playoff Run Ends
CHICAGO, IL - In a decisive Game 5, the Checkers rallied back from a disastrous start but ended up just short, with a 3-2 loss to Chicago ending their Calder Cup Playoff run.
The game had a strange start when one minute in the Checkers were assessed a bench minor for an error in their starting lineup card. The Wolves took advantage, with AHL MVP Kenny Agostino lighting the lamp during the power play, followed less than three minutes later by another power-play tally, this time by Agostino's linemate Andrew Agozzino. That goal would chase Tom McCollum from the game, with Michael Leighton making his first appearance between the pipes since Feb. 17.
Beginning the game in a two-goal hole wasn't ideal for the Checkers, but it didn't stop them from pushing back. The visitors dominated the remainder of the first and into the second but couldn't put anything behind netminder Ville Husso. The Wolves tacked on a third goal early in the middle frame while shorthanded, but the Checkers answered shortly after, with Connor Brickley busting through to get the Checkers on the board.
Down by a pair heading into the third, the Checkers continued to press for offense and finally, with less than seven minutes left in regulation, they found it courtesy of Phil Di Giuseppe. With the puck loose out front and a mass of bodies surrounding it, Sergey Tolchinsky was able to corral it over to Di Giuseppe, who buried it for his first goal of the series and put the Checkers within one heading down the home stretch. Charlotte's assault on the Chicago zone rolled on, but time slipped away and the Wolves held on, bringing the Checkers' improbable run to an end.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 26, 2017
- Crunch Hold on for 3-2 Win over IceCaps - Syracuse Crunch
- Schedule for Division Finals Versus Chicago Announced - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers' Rally Falls Short as Playoff Run Ends - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Fall to Marlies in Game 3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch Shade IceCaps 3-2 in Game Three - St. John's IceCaps
- Rattie, Wolves Force Game 5 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Rally to Force Decisive Game 5 - Charlotte Checkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton