Chattanooga Red Wolves Exercise Option on Captain José Carrera-García
CHATTANOOGA, Tn. - The Chattanooga Red Wolves have exercised the 2022 option on 2021 Captain, JoseÌ Carrera-GarciÌa, for the upcoming season. Pending league and federation approval.
Carrera-GarciÌa played 29 games in the 2021 season, recording a staggering 2,662 minutes of play time. The versatile midfielder went on to score 2 goals with 11 shots on target, and 2 assists. Defensively, Carrera-GarciÌa had 12 clearances, won 22 tackles, and intercepted the ball 37 times. An impressive 1,568 passes, the third most in the league, came off the foot of the captain with an 87% accuracy, successfully connecting 1,364 passes.
"There is only one goal for 2022. To win the championship. Since I arrived at the club I said that was my #1 goal," says Carrera-GarciÌa on what he hopes to accomplish this season.
"My first year at the club was amazing. 15 game unbeaten streak, first year making playoffs, first time ever hosting a playoffs game," on his first season in Chattanooga. "The fans were amazing. All those things were important and we know we are so close to our main goal."
"I am happy to be back one more year, thank you for the love and support that always gives us the extra push," says the captain to the Red Wolves supporters. "This city, this club, and these fans deserve a championship and with all their support we know this year will be the year for us. Thank you and see you guys soon."
"When we signed JoseÌ Carrera-GarciÌa last season we were bringing him in not just because he is a great soccer player but also because he's a great leader," says Red Wolves GM & President, Sean McDaniel. "On the field, in the locker room and in the community, JoseÌ continues to cement his significance in the Scenic City and the Red Wolves"
"Carrera epitomizes everything that we are and want to become as a club. It was a no-brainer to bring him back for a second year," says Head Coach Jimmy Obleda. "He's a winner, he's an amazing person, and has an amazing mentality. He's an amazing soccer player. We're super excited to have him back, he's our man."
"What we look from him is the continued leadership heading into 2022. Setting the bar high in professionalism and everything we want to accomplish." says Obleda. "As far as getting into the playoffs again and hopefully being in the finals and winning a championship, that's what we aspire to do. That is what we have spoken about since day one and he brings that attitude and mentality to every training and every game."
Carrera-GarciÌa is the first announced member for the Red Wolves 2022 team; more player announcements to follow.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from December 7, 2021
- Chattanooga Red Wolves Exercise Option on Captain José Carrera-García - Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
- Matt Bolduc Returns for Sixth Season in the Richmond Midfield - Richmond Kickers
- Showkat Tahir Joins 2022 North Carolina FC Roster - North Carolina FC
- Tormenta FC, Ibis Foundation Announce JonPaul (JP) Gonzalez Scholarship - South Georgia Tormenta FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chattanooga Red Wolves SC Stories
- Red Wolves Sign 2019 League One Champion Carlos Avilez
- Red Wolves Sign Former North Texas SC Defender Devin 'DJ' Benton
- Red Wolves Sign Venezuelan Midfielder Jorge Paez
- Ualefi Re-Signed for Fourth Season in Chattanooga
- Chattanooga Red Wolves Foundation Provides Families in Need with over $15,000 of Gifts and Meals for Christmas