Chaffee Comes Back
(Waldorf, Md.) - The Southern Maryland Blue Crabs have announced the return of right-handed pitcher Ryan Chaffee.
Chaffee was nothing short of a workhorse for the Blue Crabs in 2018. The 6-2 right-hander led the Atlantic League in pitchers' appearances with 69, making him one of just eight pitchers in the league with at least 50 showings. Chaffee, the setup man for the Blue Crabs last season, carried the hefty load with ease, posting a 2-2 record to go along with a 3.80 ERA, an ERA that would've been 7th best in the league had he statically qualified.
Ryan made a name for himself at Chipola College. He went from being overlooked in high school to being drafted in the 43rd round of the 2007 MLB June Amateur Draft after his freshman year. Despite being drafted, the fireballer opted to go back to school for another year, a decision that would later pay significant dividends. In his sophomore season he led his squad to the Junior College World Series, a platform in which he excelled. Chaffee tossed a legendary 18 strikeout shutout in the Junior College World Series, a feat that shouted his name to the baseball world. This performance, combined with an all-around impressive season was good enough for the Los Angeles Angels to take him in the third round of the 2008 MLB June Amateur Draft, a 40 round improvement from the previous season.
The Bellevue, Nebraska native began his professional career in rare fashion through bypassing Rookie ball and going directly to the Angels' A level affiliate, the Cedar Rapids Kernels. After six seasons in the Angels system, Chaffee spent 2016 in the Miami Marlins organization, reaching as high as the Marlins' AAA affiliate, the New Orleans Zephyrs. Chaffee returns to Southern Maryland in 2019 following a 2018 campaign that boasted a career high in appearances and 14 more than he had posted in his previous nine professional seasons.
"I cannot wait to head back to Waldorf with a fresh start and a whole new year of opportunities," said Chaffee.
The team opens the 2019 season on May 3rd at home against the Lancaster Barnstormers. To save your seat at the ballpark for the upcoming season and other team news, visit www.somdbluecrabs.com or call 301-638-9788.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Chaffee Comes Back - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Big League Veteran Davies Coming to Lancaster - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Skeeters Re-Sign Former Major League RHP Matt West - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Somerset Patriots Welcome Back INF Scott Kelly - Somerset Patriots
- Own a Bees Game-Worn Jersey - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Southern Maryland Falls in Season Finale
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season