Central Illinois Falls to Muskegon, 6 to 1
MUSKEGON, Mich. - The Central Illinois Flying Aces fall to the Muskegon Lumberjacks, 6 to 1. The Aces had their chances through the first two periods, but couldn't capitalize before the game got out of hand in a penalty filled match.
A chaotic first period led to Central Illinois having a short opportunity on a five-on-three power play that quickly devolved into three-on-three play. Shortly after Muskegon gained a man back, making it a four-on-three power play, they scored to take the lead. Alex Yakovenko passed to Danil Gushchin below the goal line who one touched the pass right back. Yakovenko's initial shot was stopped, but he was able to lift the rebound over the goaltender's pad at 17:41 in the first.
Early in the second period, Cam McDonald scored for Muskegon with a sharp angle shot from below the goal line that snuck short side past the Aces goaltender.
At 17:36 in the second, Muskegon kept the puck in the zone and Zachary Nazzarett passed to Egor Afanasyev. He spun around and put the puck top-shelf over the blocker to make it 3 to 0 for the Lumberjacks.
They Lumberjacks scored their fourth of the game at 1:22 in the third. Igor Larionov passed to Yakovenko right in front of the blue paint for the backdoor goal. Larionov had the favor returned at 4:24 in the third when he scored the backdoor goal after a slot pass from Mikael Hakkarainen.
Central Illinois got on the board at 9:07 in the third when Joe Dunlap (Windham, NH) buried a rebound on the power play. Michael Ferrandino (Lisle, Ill.) and Chad Hillebrand (Skokie, Ill.) tallied assists on the goal.
Muskegon scored their final goal of the weekend off a far-side wrist shot from Colby Bukes at 17:53 in the third.
Next weekend, the Aces travel to Chicago on Friday, January 18. Their next home game is Monday, January 21st at 1:07 p.m. as they take on the Madison Capitols.
For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2019
- Lancers Calm Storm in 4-2 Victory to Close out 3 Game Weekend - Omaha Lancers
- Tri-City Drops Final Game of Weekend to Omaha 4-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Muskegon Bounces Back, Takes Down Flying Aces 6-1 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Dubuque Beats Madison, Wins Three in Three over the Weekend - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Central Illinois Falls to Muskegon, 6 to 1 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Road Matchup against Rival Lancers - Tri-City Storm
- Gamblers to Recognize the 2018 Shopko Kick-Off Kids - Green Bay Gamblers
- Tri-City Defeats Waterloo 5-2 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.