Central Illinois Defeats Muskegon, 4 to 0, Thanks to Explosive First
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - The Central Illinois Flying Aces blanked the Eastern-Conference leading, Muskegon Lumberjacks, 4 to 0.
Sixteen seconds into the game, Joe Dunlap (Windham, NH) scored his tenth of the season. Central Illinois started the game with strong puck movement through the cycle. Lynden Breen (Grand Bay-Westfield, NB) circled the puck around to the point and dropped it back to Chase Foley (Mendota Heights, Minn.). Foley fired a shot, and Dunlap tipped it past the goaltender from the slot to take the early lead.
Less than three minutes later, Sebastian Dirven (Cornwall, Ont.) pinched down the left wall to keep the puck in and fed Stephen Halliday (Toronto, Ont.) behind the net. Halliday feeds the puck to Dunlap at the right of the crease for Dunlap's second of the night.
The Flying Aces concluded their strong first period with a goal from Tyler Gratton (Pottstown, Penn.). Muskegon tried to exist their zone, but Tate Singleton (West Lebanon, NH) stole the puck. Gratton picked up the puck, spun around, and scored top-shelf to make it 3 to 0.
Early in the third, a Lumberjacks shot went wide. Singleton picked up the puck and raced the other way with Gratton. Singleton found Ryan Siedem (Madison, NJ) joining the rush to create a three-on-two. Siedem tried to return the give-and-go, but the puck went off a Muskegon stick and right back to Siedem. The Harvard commit buried the puck into the net for the Aces' fourth of the night.
Mitchell Gibson (Phoenixville, Penn.) stopped all thirty-seven of the Muskegon shots for his second shutout of the season.
Central Illinois hosts the Sioux City Musketeers next weekend on March 16th and 17th for Local Heroes Night and St. Patty's Sunday Funday respectively.
For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2019
- Ohrvall Adds to Hat Collection - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Fall 9-3 to USA U18's - Lincoln Stars
- Dubuque Downed by Des Moines' Two Late Third Period Goals - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel Earn Point in Wild Overtime Contest, 5-4 - Chicago Steel
- Sioux City Fails To Fight Off The Storm - Sioux City Musketeers
- Central Illinois Defeats Muskegon, 4 to 0, Thanks to Explosive First - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Central Illinois Stuns Muskegon Early, Earns First Win over Lumberjacks 4-0 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Preview - USA U18's at Stars - Lincoln Stars
- Preview: Storm Go for Back to Back Wins against Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Down Two Late, Stars Stun USNTDP, Rally for Shootout Victory - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Open Home Weekend with 5-1 Win over Musketeers - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.