Catfish win another close one
Columbus, GA - The Columbus Catfish (13-6) beat the Kannapolis Intimidators (11-8) in another close game by the final score of 5-4.
Kannapolis wasted no time getting on the board, putting up a run in the 1st inning off a single by Mark Fleisher that scored Eduardo Escobar. Reid Fronk who had hit a home run his last at bat to win the night before started the game the same way with a solo home run in the bottom of the 1st that tied the game. After 1 inning the score was tied 1-1, and the Catfish and Intimidators were not done exchanging runs.
In the 6th inning the Intimidators struck again off a 2 run home run by Jim Gallagher that scored Eduardo Escobar. Kannapolis wasn't done as Christian Marrero singled to score Brent Morel. The Intimidators looked to take control up 4-1, but the Catfish decided to add 3 runs of their own. The Catfish started the sixth inning with the bases loaded, and no outs before Stephen Vogt popped out for the first out. Mike McCormick batted after Vogt and hit a single that scored Reid Fronk and Greg Sexton closing the lead to 1. With Chase Fontaine in the batter's box, Santo Luis threw a wild pitch that allowed Quinn Stewart to score from 3rd base tying up the game at 4-4.
The Catfish looked to avoid extra innings adding the go ahead run in an unusual way in the 8th inning. With 1 out Stephen Vogt hit a double, and was advanced to 3rd base by a single from the next batter Michael McCormick. The fans than turned to Chase Fontaine to drive in the go ahead run, but it was Kannapolis's pitcher Adam Bowling that would put the Catfish up. While facing Fontaine, Bowling bulked and allowed Stephen Vogt to walk into home giving the Catfish a 1 run lead.
Justin Garcia stayed in to pitch the 9th inning after striking out 2 in the 8th inning. Garcia would have a repeat performance as he struck out 2 in the 9th to earn the save, win, and the victory for the Catfish.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 8, 2008
- Suns and Tourists split double header - Hagerstown Suns
- Ryne Lawson Mows Down Shorebirds in 4-1 Victory - Greenville Drive
- Rome Takes Second in a Row - Rome Braves
- Shorebirds fall to Drive - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Petersen's 18th Not Enough to Get Greensboro Past Rome - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Catfish win another close one - Columbus Catfish
- Legends Loom Large Over RiverDogs, 3-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kennelly goes deep to help BlueClaws to 6-4 win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Gnats experience Power outage in loss - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Jackets Stumble in Lakewood - Augusta GreenJackets
- Clutch offense propels Power to victory - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators Fall To Catfish 5-4 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Crawdads and Captains rained out - Hickory Crawdads
- Stanton Stamped as Marlins' June Player of the Month - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Tampa Bay Recognizes Darcy as Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Columbus Catfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.