Bulls Fall 3-2 in Overtime to Brahmas
AMARILLO, TX - A third period rally by the Amarillo Bulls fell short on Saturday night at the Budweiser Bull Pen in the Amarillo Civic Center. Matt Guerra scored the game winning goal in overtime to lift the visiting Lone Star Brahmas past the Amarillo Bulls 3-2.
The Bulls trailed 2-1 going into the third period and tied the game up quickly on a power play goal from Jason Brancheau. The visitors kept the Bulls from charging in front thanks to some strong goaltending from Seth Eisele. In the end a 2-on-0 breakaway late in overtime proved to be the final blow and allowed Lone Star to take the win.
It was an emotional night as more than 3,200 fans were in attendance as part of First Responders Night. The fans were delighted early as Trey Bagwell gave the Bulls a 1-0 advantage on a scramble in front of the net. Brenden Datema and Alex Peterson earned assists on the play.
Later in the stanza, the Brahmas power play went to work as Blake Evennou scored on blast from the point with help from Scott Persson. The Bulls outshot the Brahmas 13-6 in the first period.
The Brahmas got the lone goal of the second as Zach Heintz scored on a pass from Joey Baez.
In the third period, the Bulls pulled even on Jason Brancheau's one timer from Logan Jenuwine and Alex Peterson. The Bulls were unsuccessful in getting the lead in the rest of regulation time.
In overtime, the Bulls got caught up ice and two Brahmas got free and were able to race in on goaltender Jason Grande and just barely nudged the puck across the goal line to win the game.
The Amarillo Bulls outshot the Lone Star Brahmas 42-29. Each team had a power play goal.
It's back on the road for the Amarillo Bulls this coming weekend as they visit the Shreveport Mudbugs at George's Pond Hirsch Coliseum. Tune into the action live on 107.1 Nash Icon, www.amarillobulls.com and on PPV with Hockey TV beginning with the Fit Omni Warm Up Show at 6:45 pm. Denis J. Puska has the hard hitting action at 7:11 pm.
Hockey returns to the Budweiser Bull Pen in the Amarillo Civic Center on Friday, Feb. 22 and Saturday, Feb. 23 when the Amarillo Bulls host the Odessa Jackalopes at 7 pm. Saturday is Merrick Pet Care Pet Night and there will be plenty of prizes as well as booth on the concourse. Tickets are Available at the Bulls Office located at 301 South Polk, Civic Center Box Office and all Panhandle Ticket locations including United Supermarkets or online at www.panhandletickets.com and www.amarillobulls.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2019
- Rebels Sweep Titans for the First Time this Season - Jamestown Rebels
- Amarillo Bulls Forward Alex Peterson Chosen as South Division Player of the Week - Amarillo Bulls
- Forward Olson Set to Return to Bobcats - Bismarck Bobcats
- Pokorny Named NAHL Central Division Star of the Week Belisle Honorable Mention - Aberdeen Wings
- NAHL Announces Divisional Stars of the Week - NAHL
- Carson Briere Earns Star of the Week Recognition for Third Time this Season - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Kyle McClellan Makes Commitment to Mercyhurst University - Austin Bruins
- Bulls Fall 3-2 in Overtime to Brahmas - Amarillo Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Bulls Stories
- Bulls Shutout Brahmas to Win Fifth Straight
- Bulls Win Fourth Straight in Shootout Thriller with Lone Star
- Nick Trela's Late Goal Sinks Brahmas as Bulls Sweep Weekend
- Bulls Score Three Unanswered Goals to Derail Undefeated Lone Star
- Bulls Bounce Back with Four Goal Night in Topeka