Bulls Beat IceRays to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Amarillo Bulls defeated the Corpus Christi IceRays 5-2 Friday at American Bank Center to force a series-deciding Game 5 in the NAHL South Division Semi-Finals. Matt Allen scored twice for the Bulls, including an empty-net dagger with 5:21 remaining after the IceRays had cut a 4-0 lead in half with goals from Nicholas Seitz and Blake Bennett.
The road team has won all four games in the best-of-five series that now shifts back to Amarillo for a Monday night finale at the Budweiser Bull Pen at Amarillo Civic Center. The IceRays will hold a watch party in Corpus Christi for Game 5 on Monday night. Details will be announced at goicerays.com and on the IceRays' social media channels later this weekend.
Amarillo's Jason Brancheau (15:06) and Gabriel Seger (15:18) opened the scoring with a pair of goals twelve seconds apart in a first period that saw the Bulls triple the IceRays in shots, 18-6.
In the second period, the Bulls doubled their lead thanks to tallies from Alex Peterson (4:50) and Allen (8:27). The IceRays then started their comeback attempt, spending more time in the offensive zone, and Seitz scoring at 17:04 on Corpus Christi's lone power play opportunity of the night.
Bennett lit the lamp at 11:39 of the third period. The American International College commit has scored in all four games this series.
Just 12 seconds after IceRays netminder Brian George went to the bench in favor of an extra attacker, Allen scored on the empty net to seal the three-goal win for the top-seeded Bulls.
Game 4 was the first contest of the series to be decided by more than one goal. It was also the final game at American Bank Center this season. If the IceRays advance to the South Division Finals, the team's home games will take place at a different, to-be-determined arena due to a known scheduling conflict at American Bank Center (Rodeo Corpus Christi).
2019 NAHL Robertson Cup Playoffs - South Division Semi-Finals
1-Amarillo Bulls vs. 4-Corpus Christi IceRays
Best-of-five series tied 2-2
Gm. 1 Friday, April 12 at Amarillo W 6-5
Gm. 2 Saturday, April 13 at Amarillo W 6-5 (OT)
Gm. 3 Thursday, April 18 AMERICAN BANK CENTER L 3-4 (OT)
Gm. 4 Friday, April 19 AMERICAN BANK CENTER L 2-5
Gm. 5 Monday, April 22 at Amarillo 7:05 PM
All playoff games, including Monday's Game 5 at Amarillo, can be heard live on Sportsradio Corpus Christi (1230 AM - 95.1 FM - 96.1 FM) and mixlr.com/icerays, as well as viewed in HD on HockeyTV (iPPV).
The winner of Monday's contest will move on to the South Division Finals to take on either the Lone Star Brahmas or Shreveport Mudbugs. The Brahmas lead that series with the Mudbugs, 2-1, after Friday night's 1-0 shutout at Shreveport.
For more information on the IceRays, visit goicerays.com or call 361-814-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Bulls Beat IceRays to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Fall to the Brahmas - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Zapata's Two Goals Help Bruins Double up Aberdeen, 4-2, Force Game 4 - Austin Bruins
- Wilderness' Myers Commits to Bemidji State - Minnesota Wilderness
- Business Trip - Aberdeen Wings
- Bulls Edge Rays In OT To Get Back In Series - Amarillo Bulls
- Bulls Win Game 3 in Overtime; Game 4 Set for Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- IceRays' Win Streak Snapped by Odessa Saturday
- IceRays Record Fifth-Straight Win against Odessa, 5-2
- IceRays Open at Home with Third-Straight Shutout of Odessa
- IceRays Sweep Three-Game Weekend with Another 1-0 Shutout Sunday
- IceRays Tie Best Start in Franchise History with 1-0 Shootout Win