Bugs Beat Blues
The Shreveport Mudbugs (29-14) dominated the game and worked through some home rust to nip the Springfield Jr. Blues, 4-3 Friday night at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum.
Shreveport grabbed the opening goal at 3:27 of the 1st period when Matt Weber rifled home his 10th goal of the season from the LW circle to give the Bugs the early 1-0 edge. Matt Hutton and Gio Procopio earned the assists. Springfield came back late in the opening period at 17:05 when Hunter Longhi snuck in a tally from the near circle for a PP goal tying the game, 1-1. Shreveport led in SOG, 13-7 after one period of play.
The Bugs regained the lead at 6:02 of the 2nd period as Alexis Girard flipped in his sixth goal of the year from behind the net to give Shreveport a lead again, 2-1. The puck caromed off the back of the Blues goalie as Warren Natyshak and Ryan Waltman earned the assists. Later in the period, Maiszon Balboa made a big save on a penalty shot from Leo Bacallao with a nice left pad save. Shreveport led in SOG, 25-12 through two periods of play.
The Bugs extended their lead early in the 3rd period when Warren Natyshak redirected home his eighth goal of the year at 1:41 to make it a 3-1 lead for the home team. David Breazeale and Ryan Dickinson earned the assists. After Springfield scored a goal at 7:27 to make it a 3-2 contest, Jacob Smith responded less than a minute later at 8:20 with a thunderous blast through the slot for his 12th tally of the year to give the Bugs a two-goal lead again at 4-2. Smith's goal would be the game-winner which was assisted by Tim Khokhlachev. The Blues would net a goal at the 20 minute mark as Shreveport won the game, 4-3.
Balboa earned his 15th win in net making just 14 saves on the night.
The Bugs and Blues will conclude their two-game series and Mardi Gras themed weekend tomorrow night at George's Pond in Hirsch Coliseum. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:11 p.m. â
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 7, 2020
- New Mexico and Corpus Require a Shootout to Decide a Winner - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Weekend Preview vs. Corpus - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Bugs Beat Blues - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Black Bears Lose to First Place Titans - Maryland Black Bears
- Bulls Fly Past Pilots in Friday Night Blowout - Amarillo Bulls
- West, Rebels Blank Knights 3-0 - Jamestown Rebels
- Tomahawks Tower over Generals 8-3 - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Drew Lorinchak and Alex Dominique Earn Honorable Mentions for Player of the Week - New Mexico Ice Wolves
- Oleksiuk Acquired from Maryland; Gabor Dealt to Odessa at Deadline - Austin Bruins
- Losing Streak Follows Brown Bears to Janesville - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Game Night - Aberdeen Wings
- Battle for Central Supremacy - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.