Bucks' Smith Called Up To AHL
LAREDO, TX- The Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League announced Wednesday that reigning Rookie of the Year Darryl Smith has been called up to the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League. Smith is expected to be in the line-up for the Moose Thursday when they visit the Houston Aeros at the Toyota Center.
This is the second career AHL call-up for Smith, who played four games for Houston last season.
The 22-year-old Smith has scored nine points (4-59) in six games for the Bucks this season, and sports a plus-two rating. Smith has two multi-goal games for Laredo, including one game-winning goal this season.
"We knew that Smitty had a lot of teams looking at him this offseason, this is another great opportunity for him," said Bucks President/General Manager and Head Coach Terry Ruskowski. "We are not sure how long he will be with Manitoba, but we hope he does well for them."
"I'm excited for another shot in the American League, this is another great opportunity for me to play at the next level," Smith said. "I'm looking forward to see what I can bring to the team."
Smith attended NHL training camp with the Atlanta Thrashers, as well as AHL training camp with the Chicago Wolves before making his way back to Laredo for the start of the 2009-10 season.
Smith had a banner year for the Bucks in 2008-09. In addition to being named Rookie of the Year, Smith was the All-Star Game MVP, All-Rookie team, and Team MVP. Smith put up 70 points (36-3470) in the regular season, to go along with eight points 5-38) in five playoff games. Smith led all CHL rookies in scoring, while his 36 goals were second-most in the entire league.
On December 30th of last season Smith, a native of Thorold, Ontario, was called up to the AHL's Houston Aeros, the team he attended training camp with inOctober 2008.
The 5'10, 170-pound Smith took home All-Star Game MVP honors in January, when he scored a goal and added an assist as the CHL fell to the host Colorado Eagles 8-4.
The Bucks return home on November 11 when they host Rio Grande Valley at the LEC. The first 1,000 fans to enter the arena receive a FREE "support our troops" bracelet. Group tickets start at just $10, call 718-BUCK (2825) to order now.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 4, 2009
- Sundogs Grab First Home Win Of Season In 9-0 Romp - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Steamrolled In Arizona 9-0 - Laredo Bucks
- Tendler Named FJO IceRays Player Of The Month - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Allen's Charlie Effinger Named Sher-Wood/TPS CHL Goaltender Of The Month - CHL
- Hisey Player Of Month - Tulsa Oilers
- Eagles Contribute $15,000 To Breast Cancer Awareness - Colorado Eagles
- Ticket Exchange Program Adds Two Dates - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks' Smith Called Up To AHL - Laredo Bucks
- Gorillas Waive Hill & McNeill, Sign Cloud - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Start Three Game Set At Arizona Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.