Buchanan and Rubisch Recognized with League Honors
Boston, MA (April 20, 2011) Boston Blazers forward Kevin Buchanan was named the National Lacrosse League's Overall Player of the Week and Offensive Player of the Week for Week #15 of the 2011 NLL Season. The NLL Weekly Player Awards are determined each week by the General Managers & Head Coaches of the league's ten member clubs.
Buchanan recorded a season high five goals and four assists in the Blazers 16-9 road victory over the Buffalo Bandits on Saturday, April 16th. A graduate of The Ohio State University, Buchanan is currently Boston's third highest goal scorer with 24 (57 points: 24g, 33a).
Rookie defenseman Kyle Rubisch was also honored as Rookie of the Week. Rubisch anchored Boston's defense with a game-high 10 loose balls and a forced turnover. With 143 loose balls on the season thus far, Rubisch leads all league rookies and is fourth overall.
With the victory over Buffalo, Boston completes their regular season with an 8-8 record and enters postseason action as the #4 seed in the East. The Blazers will travel back to the HSBC Arena next Saturday, April 30 at 7:30pm to challenge the Bandits (10-5) in the first round of the 2011 NLL Playoffs. The Blazers last met the Bandits in postgame play in 2009 when Buffalo grabbed an 11-8 first round win.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 20, 2011
- Mammoth's Levis Named NLL Defensive Player of the Week - Colorado Mammoth
- Merrill Named Transition Player of the Week - Edmonton Rush
- Buchanan and Rubisch Recognized with League Honors - Boston Blazers
- Bandits Announce Fan Appreciation Night - Buffalo Bandits
- Vinc Can Join Elite Company this Weekend - Rochester Knighthawks
- Kevin Buchanan Named Overall Player Of The Week - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals