Brendan Leipsic and Taylor Leier Selected in NHL Entry Draft
Portland Winterhawks players Brendan Leipsic and Taylor Leier were selected in the National Hockey League Entry Draft Saturday. Leipsic was drafted in the third round, 89th overall by the Nashville Predators and Leier went in the fourth round, 117th overall to the Philadelphia Flyers.
Their selections give the Winterhawks three players taken overall in the 2012 Entry Draft after Derrick Pouliot was taken eighth by the Pittsburgh Penguins in yesterday's first round.
"Being drafted is an outstanding accomplishment, and we're very excited for Brendan and Taylor," said Winterhawks General Manager & Head Coach Mike Johnston. "Of course, having watched so many teammates go through the draft process in recent seasons, they know this is just the beginning and that it will take a lot of hard work to make it to the next level."
Leipsic played 65 games last season and registered career-highs with 28 goals and 30 assists for 58 points. He added 15 points in the playoffs, and last week was selected to represent Canada in the 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge.
Leier, in his first season with the Hawks, played all 72 games and led the team's rookies with 13 goals and 24 assists for 37 points. He added seven points in the playoffs.
With three players taken in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, the Winterhawks have now had 122 players drafted in franchise history, including 15 players in the last three years.
Season tickets and 20- and 12-game ticket packages for the 2012-13 season are on sale now. Visit winterhawks.com or call 503-236-HAWK to reserve the best seat locations.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 23, 2012
- Three Calgary Hitmen Taken in 2012 NHL Entry Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Rockets Import Draft a 1st Rounder in NHL Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Troock Selected by Dallas at 2012 NHL Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Three Oil Kings Selected in 2012 NHL Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 2012 NHL Entry Draft Recap - Regina Pats
- Two Giants Selected in 2012 NHL Draft - Vancouver Giants
- 32 WHL Players Selected in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft - WHL
- Colin Smith Selected by Colorado Avalanche - Kamloops Blazers
- Third Rockets Player Selected in NHL Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Brendan Leipsic and Taylor Leier Selected in NHL Entry Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Gordon Selected 165th Overall by Calgary Flames - Swift Current Broncos
- Black Selected 135th Overall by New Jersey Devils - Swift Current Broncos
- Royals' Logan Nelson Selected by Buffalo in 2012 - Victoria Royals
- Stephenson Selected by Capitals - Regina Pats
- Bozon Selected by Canadiens in Third Round - Kamloops Blazers
- Walters Drafted in 4th Round by St. Louis - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Taken in NHL Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals' Steven Hodges Chosen by Florida Panthers - Victoria Royals
- Troy Bourke Drafted by Colorado Avalanche in Third Round - Prince George Cougars
- Mike Winther Drafted by the Dallas Stars - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.