Braves Come Up Empty in the Clutch in 3-0 Loss
GREENSBORO, NC - The Rome lineup went hitless with runners in scoring position and grounded into four double-plays in a frustrating 3-0 defeat against Greensboro on Tuesday evening at First National Bank Field. Losses by both Asheville and Augusta keep the Braves two games out of first place with six regular season contests remaining.
Despite another strong pitching performance the offense was unable to find the big hits when they needed them. Rome threatened throughout the game and had multiple rallies snuffed out by double play grounders. The Braves collected nine total hits.
In the 2nd, 4th and 6th innings Rome had two on and nobody out. Each time a double-play crushed the momentum. In the 5th a leadoff double couldn't do the trick. At one point the leadoff hitter reached base in five consecutive innings and was stranded in scoring position.
Rome starter LHP Dilmer Mejia fared well but took the loss. He threw 5 innings and allowed one run on four hits. Mejia struck out four and did not issue a walk.
Greensboro scored their first run on a groundout in the 2nd inning and added two more in the 6th to make it 3-0.
Bryce Ball went 2-3 with a walk in the defeat. Shea Langeliers was 2-4. Jeremy Fernandez went 2-4 with a stolen base. Brendan Venter had the only Rome extra-base hit as he went 1-3 with a double and was hit by a pitch.
Rome is 0-18 with runners in scoring position across the first two games of the series.
Rome and Greensboro continue their four game set Wednesday evening at First National Bank Field. First pitch of Game 3 is scheduled for 7 pm. The Braves are expected to start RHP Alan Rangel (10-7, 4.48) while Greensboro counters with RHP Winston Nicacio (2-2, 2.92).
Rome Braves (33-31, 63-70) 0 R 9 H 1 E
Greensboro Grasshoppers (32-31, 76-56) 3 R 7 H 0 E
W: Steven Jennings (7-11)
L: Dilmer Mejia (8-4)
S: Oliver Garcia (1)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Navas' Career Night Not Enough as RiverDogs' Playoff Chances Dwindle - Charleston RiverDogs
- Asheville Takes High Energy Game from Charleston - Asheville Tourists
- Rutledge Sets Season-High in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Birds Blink First, 'Claws Walk Off - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Toplikar Takes Jackets to 5-2 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Third Inning Pushes GreenJackets Past Drive - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 28 vs. Hickory (Game 131) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep - Lexington Legends
- Ricca Homers as Power Are Swept in Doubleheader - West Virginia Power
- Playoff Tickets Go-On Sale Thursday, August 29th at 10 a.m. - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Chase Down Attendance Record to Close out the Season at Home - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Promo Preview: Last Fireworks, LR Night and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes (August 28) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Turn Tables with Shutout - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Braves Come Up Empty in the Clutch in 3-0 Loss - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.