Braden Schneider Selected 19th Overall by New York Rangers, Ridly Greig 28th by Ottawa Senators
Defenceman Braden Schneider was selected by the New York Rangers 19th overall in the 2020 NHL Draft Wednesday night before his fellow Brandon Wheat King forward Ridly Greig was selected by the Ottawa Senators at 28th.
After selecting Alexis Lafreniere (Rimouski Océanic) with the 1st overall pick of the draft to start the evening, the Rangers traded their first round selection (22nd overall) and third round selection (72nd overall) for the Calgary Flames' 19th overall pick in order to get Schneider.
Greig was taken by the Senators with their third pick of the night after they chose Time Stutzle (Mannheim DEL) 3rd overall and Jake Sanderson (USHL) with the 5th pick. The '02-born Greig is 5'11", 162 lbs and finished the 2019-20 WHL season with 60 PTS (26G-36A) in 56 games. The speedy sniper turned pro scout's heads leading up to the draft with not only his skill but also his grit, garnering 83 PIM in the shortened junior season.
A 6'2", 202-lbs right-handed defenceman from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Schneider is the first Brandon Wheat King to get drafted by the Rangers since Richard Nejezchleb was taken 122nd overall in 2014. Prior to that, Stefan Cherneski was also taken by the blue shirts 19th overall in 1997. Schneider finished the 2019-20 season with 42 PTS (7G-35A) in 60 GP and has been a physical presence for the majority of his time spent competitive hockey.
Greig joins the company of Wheat Kings drafted by the Ottawa Senators such as Jordan Fransoo in 2011 (186th overall) and Mark Stone in 2010 (178th overall).
Wednesday marks the third time in franchise history that a pair of Wheat Kings were both selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. In 2009 Brayden Schenn and Scott Glennie both were taken in the first round while the 1979 draft featured Laurie Boschman, Brian Propp, Brad McCrimmon, and Ray Allison all taken early.
Schneider was the 10th CHL prospect to be taken in Wednesday night's draft and the 3rd player from the WHL after Seth Jarvis (Portland Winterhawks) was taken 13th by the Carolina Hurricanes and Kaiden Guhle (Prince Albert Raiders) was taken by the Montreal Candiens with the 16th pick.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2020
- Guhle, Wiesblatt Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Seth Jarvis Selected 13th Overall by Carolina - Portland Winterhawks
- Braden Schneider Selected 19th Overall by New York Rangers, Ridly Greig 28th by Ottawa Senators - Brandon Wheat Kings
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hunt Hoping to Hear His Name During the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Winnipeg ICE Partner with Hockey Manitoba in Support of Manitoba's Safe Return to Hockey - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.