Boomers Fail to Hold Early Lead in Eighth Straight Defeat
MARION, IL - The Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, jumped to a 4-0 lead in the first inning but could not hold on in suffering an eighth consecutive defeat at the hands of the Southern Illinois Miners on the road Saturday night by a 13-8 final.
The Boomers put the first three batters of the game on base and took the lead when Quincy Nieporte lifted a sacrifice fly. Nick Oddo followed with an RBI single and Dylan Jones blooped a two-run double on the infield. Southern Illinois scored a single run in the bottom of the second to cut in to the deficit on a homer from Kyle Davis. The frame marked the first of seven consecutive innings with a run. Davis connected on a grand slam in the third to put the Miners ahead for good. Schaumburg battled within 8-7 and 10-8 but could not come up with a shutdown inning to slow the Miners, who have won 10 straight. The right fielder finished 5-for-5 for Southern Illinois with seven RBIs.
Jack Parenty notched his 33rd multi-hit game of the year and the Boomers drew eight walks in the defeat. Jones knocked home a pair. Matt Miller took the loss, allowing seven runs in three innings. Southern Illinois homered four times and totaled 18 hits in the win. The eight-game losing streak matches the longest in team history and has dropped the Boomers three back in the East.
The Boomers (38-39) conclude the series on Sunday night at 5:05 p.m. with LHP Gunnar Kines (6-5, 2.63) on the mound against LHP Marty Anderson (5-3, 2.44). Just six home games remain on the schedule this season. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets and information or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Otters Record Two Wins against Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Lose Back-And-Forth Slugfest - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Buried by Rascals in Middle-Game - Florence Y'alls
- Bolts Triumph in Wild Back-And-Forth at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Davis' Big Night Leads Miners to Tenth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Clobber Freedom in Game 2 - River City Rascals
- Boomers Fail to Hold Early Lead in Eighth Straight Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Offensive Woes the Story Saturday - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers Slam Joliet in 7-0 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.