Rascals Clobber Freedom in Game 2
O'FALLON, Mo. - The River City Rascals rolled the Florence Freedom 15-4 in the middle game of their series on Saturday night. LJ Kalawaia had four hits, including two RBIs, and Andrew Penner and Braxton Martinez drove in three runs each in the blowout.
After Martinez got the Rascals on the board with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first, Connor Crane answered with an RBI single for the Freedom in the bottom of the frame to tie the game 1-1. It was all Rascals from there, as Zach Lavy hit a two-run blast in the bottom of the fourth, which was followed a few batters later with a two-run single from Penner. The Rascals added five runs each in the fourth and sixth innings. Nick Anderson had RBI hits in both frames, and the Rascals finished with 17 total hits on the night.
Rascals starter Alex Winkelman went 4 1/3 innings, allowing three runs. Reliever Yeison Medina (6-3) earned the win, going 3 2/3 scoreless innings with three strikeouts. Freedom starter Jackson Owens (0-1) took the loss, allowing ten runs, nine earned, over 3 2/3 innings.
The Rascals (44-34) will look to finish off a sweep of the Freedom (48-31) in the series finale tomorrow night, with first pitch scheduled for 5:05 p.m. CDT from CarShield Field. Taylor Ahearn is expected to take the mound for the Rascals.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Otters Record Two Wins against Wild Things - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Lose Back-And-Forth Slugfest - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Buried by Rascals in Middle-Game - Florence Freedom
- Bolts Triumph in Wild Back-And-Forth at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Davis' Big Night Leads Miners to Tenth Straight Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Clobber Freedom in Game 2 - River City Rascals
- Boomers Fail to Hold Early Lead in Eighth Straight Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Offensive Woes the Story Saturday - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers Slam Joliet in 7-0 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.