BlueClaws Fall 4-2 on Bark in the Park Day
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Gavin Wallace gave up one run over seven innings of work and the BlueClaws left the tying run on base in the ninth as Lakewood fell 4-2 to West Virginia on Saturday. The BlueClaws (19-16) had their four-game win streak snapped while West Virginia (21-13) won their sixth straight game.
Trailing 4-1, the BlueClaws got a run on a Nick Maton groundout in the ninth. Quincy Nieportefollowed with a single, but Rodolfo Duran was robbed of a base hit by a diving Power second baseman Rodolfo Castro, who threw to first to end the game. Evan Piechota got the last six outs for his second save.
Wallace, who improved to 3-0 on the year, gave up four hits with no walks and one strikeout. He needed just 69 pitches to get through the seven innings.
West Virginia scored three times in the first inning off Connor Brogdon (1-2), taking the lead on an RBI single from Cal Mitchell. Dylan Busby added an RBI double and Rodolfo Castro an RBI single for a 3-0 lead.
Brogdon, however, settled in from there. He got through the fifth without allowing another run. He finished with one walk against five strikeouts.
Lakewood got on the board in the bottom of the fifth inning on a home run from Quincy Nieporte, his second home run of the homestand and third of the season.
The Power added a run in the eighth on an RBI single from Oniel Cruz off Luis Carrasco.
Nieporte had three hits for the BlueClaws, including his home run. Daniel Brito went 2-4 in the loss.
The series with the Power continues on Sunday at 1:05 pm. LHP David Parkinson (2-1) starts for Lakewood against RHP Travis MacGregor (1-1).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Gavin Wallace on Bark in the Park day
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 12, 2018
- Scudder Leads Suns in Rain-Shortened Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Manea Impresses in Series-Opening Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- Lillie's Scoreless Start Helps Snap Slide - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- 'Birds Survive Furious Start, Squeak by Columbia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Shut out by Legends - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Battle Intimidators; Come up Short 11-8 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Record First Shutout in 6-0 Victory over Drive - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Fall in Rain-Shortened Slugfest in Hagerstown - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Can't Complete Comeback - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wallace Twirls Gem in 4-2 Win on Saturday - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Fall 4-2 on Bark in the Park Day - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: May 12 vs. Delmarva (Game 35) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 12) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Jones Leads Claws to 16th Shutout and 2-0 Saturday Win
- Fireflies Top BlueClaws 9-1 on Friday Night in Columbia
- Playoff Bound: BlueClaws Win First-Half Pennant
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Blank 'Dads 4-0 on Sunday
- Jones Sharp, Ortiz Homers, Claws Keep Playoffs Hopes Alive with 4-2 Win