Blue Crabs Struggle to Get Bats Going in 7-1 Loss
Sugar Land, TX. - In a series that has been a heavy weight match of two teams trying to over power the other, game five took a twist for the norm as small ball would get the scoring started.
The Skeeter second baseman Josh Prince laid down a perfectly placed bunt to reach base in the bottom of the third, and would advance to third on a passed ball. Later in the inning Juan Silverio poked a single to right field to score the first run of the ballgame. To keep on with the oddities, back-to-back line drives narrowly missed the outstretched glove of Blue Crab first baseman Jon Griffin to score a pair of Skeeter runs. Sugar Land plated a total of five runs in the inning, and it was all but determined that fate was working against Southern Maryland on this brisk Texas evening.
In his first appearance in a Southern Maryland uniform, starting pitcher John Richy allowed a total of six earned runs through 3 1/3 innings before Michael Kelly came in to keep the Skeeter lead stagnant at 6-0. Kelly kept the bats quiet and allowed the fate to twist in favor of Southern Maryland but for a moment in the sixth. A Sugar Land error scored Rubi Silva to plate the first Blue Crab run of the game, cutting into the Skeeter lead with the Blue Crabs still trailing 6-1 heading into the bottom of the inning.
After nearly two innings of scoreless work Kelly gave way to Andrew Johnston who allowed just one run, scoring off a wild pitch. Southern Maryland errors in the field and struggles to struggles to string together base hits plagued the squad in the fifth game of the season. The Blue Crabs' platoon of bullpen arms kept the Skeeters' bats calm in the latter stages of the game but the Skeeter lead was too steep of a mountain for Southern Maryland to climb, as they fell 7-1 at the hands of Sugar Land.
The Blue Crabs' home opener is May 3rd against the Lancaster Barnstormers. To save your seat at the ballpark for the upcoming season and other team news, visit www.somdbluecrabs.com or call 301-638-9788.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from April 29, 2019
- Lancaster Cools Off Streaking Long Island Ducks, 4-2 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Blue Crabs Struggle to Get Bats Going in 7-1 Loss - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Late Rally Falls Short in Lancaster - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Shut out Patriots 4-0 - Somerset Patriots
- New York Yankees Purchase Contract of RHP Andrew Bellatti - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs to Host Toys for Tots
- Blue Crabs Hosting Thanksgiving Food Drive with St. Charles High School
- Blue Crabs Broadcaster Andrew Bandstra Named SOMD ARC Volunteer of the Year
- Blue Crabs Announce Halloween Event with Trick or Treating, Pumpkin Painting, Disney's Coco
- Blue Crabs to Host Youth Fall League